The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Need a Mud with Port 8080  (Read 924 times)

gylippus

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Need a Mud with Port 8080
« on: May 09, 2018, 10:07 AM »
So, I am spending a lot of time at work and I can only connect to a mud with port 8080. I have no idea if this has something to do with firewalls or protections. Anyway, the first person to post a decent mud with a port 8080 that I can connect to will get me as a visitor and possible player.

Epilogy

• View Profile
Re: Need a Mud with Port 8080
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 10:29 AM »
Not the expert, but I think that you could set something up at home, and connect to your house 'puter through port 8080. Sounds like a better desire than any ol 8080 port mud.

Vodur

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 11:43 AM »
You can try using Mudslinger client to connect to any mud.

http://mudslinger.rooflez.com/

It only uses port 80.

nullscan

• TMC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 2:28 PM »
If you're linux-friendly you can set up a box at home (either a real one or running in xVM VirtualBox on a Windows Desktop PC) and configure the SSH server to accept connections on Port 8080.  The bonus to this method is that everything except the initial handshake is encrypted, so your IT Guys won't turn around and block 8080 (or block your PC from using it) when they snoop on network datastreams and spot your activity.  Then just download puTTY (if you're a Windows User at work) or SSH straight through from terminal.  Set up TinyFugue at home and bam - you've obfuscated what you're doing from peeping IT guys and you're able to link from work to home and connect to any MU you like with a popular terminal-based client.

If you're just plain Windows-oriented, try Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP).  The datastreams both ways are also encrypted if you set up RDP to use SSL and you can customize the port number you're listening on.  If you have any Windows Servers on the work network, then the default RDP Ports are probably open anyway.  Whether RDP is trivial or difficult to set up depends on your version of Windows at home.  Last I checked, Windows 10 has the option to "allow remote connections" which means "enable RDP listener server."

Gicker

• View Profile
    • d20MUD: Star Wars
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 3:29 PM »
Have you tried using mudportal?

http://mudportal.com/

You can specify the mud you want like so:

http://www.mudportal.com/play?host=ageofdragons.com&port=4000

just change the text ageofdragons.com with your mud host.ip and 4000 with the mud port.

Not sure if that will work or not, but worth a try.
d20MUD Star Wars: Role Play, PvE & PvP using d20 and SAGA rules
www.d20mud.com d20mud.com port 6000

4th Age Dragonlance Role Play & Adventure
ageofdragons.com port 4000