The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Shadows of Isildur - Roleplay & Adventure  (Read 569 times)

CaptainCommander

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Shadows of Isildur - Roleplay & Adventure
« on: November 05, 2017, 4:17 PM »
Greetings everyone,

I want to point some attention to a game I play, Shadows of Isildur in the hopes that some might make a character and join us.  It is a roleplay enforced mud, with ooc communication limited save for in game mail (Hobbitmail) to try to work out times in which to roleplay with your friends, or others you have need to contact in game.

The genre is based off of Tolkien's work of The Lord of the Rings.  There are no levels in the game, and you choose from a set of skills when creating a character.  That said, you can choose to fight with one weapon, (sole-wield), dual wield (two weapons or a weapon and shield), archery (shortbow, longbow, and crossbow).  There are also many craft sets one may choose, a very long list in fact, but I'll just name off a few .  Herbalism, Weaponcraft, Armorcraft, Leathercrafting, Farming, Gardening, Fishing, Woodworking and so forth; the way in which to increase these skills are through use.  Most skills have an ooc timer, meaning that it might take a six hour delay to flush a buck out of the woods, such is meant to provide realism, as a person won't kill twenty deer in one day.  A character can amass up to a 24 hour crafting delay timer, so you don't have to sit and wait for the time to actually run out completely.

The game provides many avenues in which to give many choices to add more detail and flavor to your roleplaying experience. The list and explanation to such can be found here
https://shadowcooperative.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/PW/pages/524341/An+Introduction+to+Role-Playing+Commands

There are several races, some of which you'd be familiar with from seeing the movies or reading the books of this genre, some however, require RPP points, which characters are awarded from staying in character and roleplaying.  Just like in the real world, when it is night, it will be dark outside and you'd need a torch or other light source.  Also, there is real risk in what you do, for your character can sustain wounds and injuries, and if they are severe enough you will die.  There is no spawning point in the game after your character dies, that poor soul is gone, and you'll get to make another.  I know this can be a turnoff to some, however it does make every action you make have consequences just like in real life.

There is so much more one could write about the game, I highly encourage you to check out the above link I included and check out the various topic, which are most informative. 
  The game can be reached by connecting  your client to:

Middle-earth.us
port 4500
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 7:56 PM by CaptainCommander »

dbearpas52

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Re: Shadows of Isildur - Roleplay & Adventure
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 11:32 PM »
  I did try this mud.. it's not for casual browsers of the LotR setting, is it? I've read The Hobbit and the Fellowship Trilogy, but some of the Chargen phases implied a need for knowledge of the background that was a quite a bit more extensive than I remembered. But I still made an account and set up a character with the required background questions answered... I thought. Then I submitted the character for approval and waited... and waited.  I didn't wait twentyfour hours, more like eighteen.. and heard nothing. No requests for tweaking or critique, not even a notice that my application had been received. So I went elsewhere. Because to be honest, nothing I read or saw made me think I should give up valuable time waiting. Looking for dedicated players? Communicate with applicants.

CaptainCommander

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 9:27 PM »
 While I am not a part of the administration of this game, my previous post did state there is a wait time for approval of any character applications. Each applicant receives notification via whatever email you gave.  I have had only to wait a few minutes up to a day, but these are real people with lives just like anyone else. 

They have spent a great deal of time on the lore, yet you don't need to be an expert of the genre.  Everyone is more than willing to help you along the way, there's even a discord channel for questions or concerns.  To further this, there are two ways to get help oocly, via the helpline where newbie guides answer your questions without disrupting the game, and petitions.  There are helpfiles on each of those.

The game is so deep, with many years of coding with ongoing rp plots.   I hope that whatever game you've decided to play will
be a good one for you, but I'll hold out hope that you'll be curious by nature and log in, there's some excellent role players, we just need a few more.

animlcrkrs

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 2:21 PM »
While I am not a part of the administration of this game, my previous post did state there is a wait time for approval of any character applications. Each applicant receives notification via whatever email you gave.  I have had only to wait a few minutes up to a day, but these are real people with lives just like anyone else. 

Whether you mentioned it or not, it still makes the bar for entry significantly higher.  Acting like it's necessary just because "these are real people" when there are so many other MUDs that let you start playing right away is just ridiculous.

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 5:43 PM »
Maybe it is worth the wait. Might be a tight knit group of serious roleplayers and they like it that way. I don't know, but a day isn't too long is it?
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

Breaker_Asylum

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 9:43 PM »
I have to explain my "experience" with this MUSH. It is very very very poorly staffed. I STILL have a gondorian character in a jail. Don't play if you wish to keep yourself sane, very low playerbase when I played, poor justice system, really really poor immstaff. You might have a good experience... but you didn't wait 2 years to have a character still in roleplay jail. No rule break, poor immersive justice system

Regards, The Breaker_Asylum

CaptainCommander

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 10:49 PM »
First off, the game isn't a Mush.  Secondly, I know for a fact there's no pc characters in any jail cells, because everytime such a pc logs on it gives a notification to the players in the clan that is over said jail cells.  There's also very, very few gondorian characters as the location has shifted from Minas Tirith to over towards the Mirkwood.  I chop the previous poster up as someone that probably broke the rules somehow and got kicked from the game, as a player could submit a support ticket, or use the petition feature to get help from the staff if such an instance occurred.

That said, we have had some new players create characters, which is great.  I highly encourage everyone to give it a try that enjoys roleplay. Imms help with plotlines and create twists and content for the player base to engage in. 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 10:52 PM by CaptainCommander »

Breaker_Asylum

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 4:08 PM »
Oh, sorry you like this piece of crud, but there is a bloke in jail, cause he never got a sodding clan, AND TO TOP IT OFF, I never ever played it since the "move". CHECK YOUR FACTS. Or check the hell out.

Breaker_Asylum

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 4:10 PM »
I also find it funny you are commenting on the jail without commenting on the automated justice system. A hypocrite much?

Breaker_Asylum

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 7:21 PM »
On another note, you are defending your game... I applaud that. But and heres the big big but. I had a bad experience, and I do not ever wish to play it again. No exceptions. Not what you did. Not what the game did. The devs or something took a break... to make a move or something... and they left me in the dust. I recall good memories. Even tried some new ones... alas that fear of purgatory is too high.

Regards, the Breaker Asylum

Zividave

• View Profile
    • AnsalonMUD
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 7:34 PM »
Maybe it is worth the wait. Might be a tight knit group of serious roleplayers and they like it that way. I don't know, but a day isn't too long is it?

TBH, I tried to make a character there about 10 years ago, never got a response.
Love the Genre, Tolkien was my first Fantasy read with Hobbit at like 8, but...
I'd prefer more responsive, and not too much into 100% IC in a non-Mush (so I stick with Muds with item interaction etc).
BUT, I'm sure people do prefer the full RP-mostly approach, and I've heard good things about the crafting in-game (although never witnessed in-person, no response etc).

Hope the game is doing well man, good to see someone at the helm.

CaptainCommander

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 8:24 PM »
I also find it funny you are commenting on the jail without commenting on the automated justice system. A hypocrite much?

Automative justice system?  Justice is handled via player characters.  Although, perhaps it was not so many years ago.