The Mud Connector

Author Topic: For-profit mud seeking builders.  (Read 2330 times)

melzaren

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
For-profit mud seeking builders.
« on: October 31, 2017, 3:18 PM »
I'm developing what will be a for-profit mud called Enden's Keep, and I'm looking for a head builder or hobbiest builder(s) interested in taking part in developing a completely unique campaign setting from the ground up.

I'm looking for someone who isn't just a builder but a story teller. Ideally you'll have strong background in creative writing (post secondary education in this area is ideal, but not required), and you'll understand what it takes to distinguish professional work from amateur work.

A little more about the mud.

Enden's Keep will be a roleplay-enforced low-to-medium magic fantasy adventure world. It was previously under development based on an different codebase for a number of years; I'm in the process of redesigning the server from the ground up using Nakedmud as a foundation.

If you're interested, feel free to send me a PM or respond here with any questions you might have.

Warm regards,
Dave
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 12:18 AM by melzaren »

blinkdog

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Re: For-profit mud seeking head builder.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 9:59 AM »
I'm developing what will be a for-profit mud called Enden's Keep

If you're interested, feel free to send me a PM or respond here with any questions you might have.

What is your business model for the MUD?

melzaren

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Re: For-profit mud seeking head builder.
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 4:59 PM »
It'll be largely a micro-transaction system that is popular with a lot of online games. That is to say, it'll be free to play with a number of incentives to buy credits and/or a membership.

Really, I'm looking for builders just like any other mud, except this mud is intending to eventually make money, which means that unlike other muds, you might actually make money off your zones.

I'm not looking just for a head builder, incidentally, if you find that sounds like too much responsibility, or too much of an investment. I'm also looking for hobbiest builders. More than anything I'm looking for story-tellers who aren't going to rush the building process.

Fata1Err0r

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Re: For-profit mud seeking builders.
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 9:34 PM »
G'evening,

Tell me more about the mud? More so, what's it being built on or are you working with custom code? Also, what platform will this game be on?

Throw more information my way when you get a chance. I could help out in many ways, from building to programming custom code from the ground up for whatever platform we need. As far as experience, I'm 32 and played/created a lot of muds back in the late 90s/early-00s. Namely one called Aarabela and the first dbz mud, Dragonball Series, as well as some that branched off of it, Dragonball Epic and Dragonball Revolution. Since then, I've done a lot of work in networking and software engineering over the past decade, and currently transitioning my professional career into game development.

Hit me up if you're interested. I have at least 6 hours a night to dedicate toward this cause.

Drizzt1216

• TMC Member
    • View Profile
    • tbaMUD
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 10:35 PM »
I'm in the process of redesigning the server from the ground up using Nakedmud as a foundation.

melzaren

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 5:05 AM »
Still on the look-out, friends. Making great progress on the codebase itself!

kaylus

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 1:32 AM »
Still on the look-out, friends. Making great progress on the codebase itself!

Ah, NakedMud - what is the intent of the modifications you are making to the codebase? I think when I toyed with it I ended up removing most of the C-based game functionality and replacing it with python modules. 

melzaren

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 9:08 PM »
The majority of my modules are in C. I think one of the reasons Nakedmud has received very little attention in the mudding community is because it's somewhat haphazardly strewn across both C and Python in such a way that developing it can be more daunting for hobby programmers.

I'm coming from a Circlemud background so I've got a lot of experience in C, which has informed my philosophy I suppose, but my approach, generally, is to program my modules in C and use Python for scripts for mobiles and the like.

So to answer your question I'm adding everything that a mud requires to be playable (combat, spells, classes, languages) using C modules.

kaylus

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 1:23 AM »
Ah, gotcha. I'm quite the reverse coming from an LPC background. I understand what you mean about strewn about. Had Geoff continued for a while we might have seen a more cohesive unit, though the delineation of the server vs the library was still intermixed even in that push.

I would have to hear more about the world to know if I would be interested in story-telling from a hobbiest point of view. Feel free to message me.

-K