The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Compiling Questions  (Read 567 times)

DishonoredRonin

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Compiling Questions
« on: October 20, 2017, 8:20 AM »
 I've been using Smaug as a codebase for years now, but I've never been able to make major changes due to an inability to compile. I've tried both Cygwin and Python, and could never get them to work properly. Is there a better compiler out there that is easy to use and compatible with Windows 10? Thank you.

animlcrkrs

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Re: Compiling Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 7:40 PM »
You could compile it on Linux in a VirtualBox VM.

DishonoredRonin

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 11:38 PM »
 If I can get one of my older computers running again, I could give it another shot. Every time I've partitioned my drive and run Linux as a second OS, the computer got twitchy.
 Worth giving it a try again on an older box. Thanks.

kaylus

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 11:43 PM »
If I can get one of my older computers running again, I could give it another shot. Every time I've partitioned my drive and run Linux as a second OS, the computer got twitchy.
 Worth giving it a try again on an older box. Thanks.

Well, I see I'm a month late here on an answer -- but hopefully you get a notification and decide to read. I've been quite successful under Windows 10 in compilation using Bash on Ubuntu on Windows. Windows 10 incorporated the Windows Subsystem for Linux and since then I haven't had concerns compiling code; well -- I did have problems with some really old code looking for IPX_TYPE defines, but that's just something you would have to deal with anyways.

This should do you: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/commandline/wsl/install-win10

Cheers,
Kaylus