The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Searching for a New Home  (Read 679 times)

Rynth

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Searching for a New Home
« on: October 18, 2017, 6:20 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I have been away from MUDs for a few years now and decided to come back to scratch an itch.  I used to play Danse Macabre and a few others, like Ivalice, Aangband, etc, and I am currently looking for a place to call home.  I am having some difficulty however as I do searches and go into games saying they are original and I am met with the same basic classes with the same stock abilities.  I am looking for a MUD that has originality, numerous classes and races, skills and spells which differ from the 'cure light, magic missile, etc' from stock games.  A deep crafting system would be a plus, as I do like my Alchemy and Scribing, and professions like mining and the like.  I would prefer a MUD that did not have Enforced RP, as some days you just don't feel up to it after working a 12 hr shift.  I do not mind PK, if it is for a reason and not just because.  I am just looking for a good game to spend my time after work which will gives me plenty of things to keep me interested and involved, rather than stock everything with a new coat of paint.

Thanks in Advance.

Jodah

• TMC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for a New Home
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 3:01 AM »
Try cyberassault.org 11111.  They took out everything crappy in mudding (like rent and eating and grinding).  There's grenades/explosives, sniping from different rooms, alien invasions, quests, active development, and vehicles.  They made most pieces of equipment good, that means instead of choosing between crappy and moderately good equipment, you're choosing between good and excellent.  It's one of those games where you just log in and have a good time and not have to worry about a bunch of mudding chores(like making rent). There's weird classes, crafting, and zero rp.  Post apoc/futuristic games aren't for everyone, but worth checking out if you're into the genre.

Kermorvan

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 7:27 PM »
I would say check out Erion, there is a listing here for it and a website at http://erionmud.com/

It has very few stock pieces left in it. Its active with active Imms if a somewhat sporadic playerbase.

Molly

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 9:16 AM »
As usual I cannot resist tooting the horn for my own game, 4 Dimensions.

It's Circle based, but heavily modified, all original, and totally free. And it offers almost everything you could think of and ask for. A fact is that you never run out of things to do in 4D, whether you like collecting, crafting, fishing, farming, gardening, questing - or just killing stuff. Generally most choices pay off better in the long run than the common mob-busting grinding, but hey, the choice is free and it's always yours. In fact, we are a very-easy going Mud that leaves most choices to the players, (and that goes for roleplaying and playerkilling too).

We have a very large world, in fact 4 different worlds, since our theme is Time Travel. Each world is as large as a common mud and also unusually detailed and 100 percent original. This offers almost endlesss ways of exploring. You can jump between the worlds, using time traps or the Time Guarding, but you can also devote all your attention to the time period of your choice, (Ancient Greece, Medieval, Old West or Future). Most players seem to prefer time-hopping though.

There are some downsides of course, mainly the number of active players. We have an active staff,  but the player base has always been small, although we have a core of oldtimers, (some of them dating more than 10 years back and refusing to leave). But the number of people on line varies quite a bit over time. And like most text muds nowadays we are affected by the generally shrinking playerbase, so we get very little inflow these days. At present we are actually at an all time low, so new blood is definitely welcome. On the flip side you can solo almost anything in the game, so there is no need for large groups.

It's a very complex game, so new players are recommended to start out by going through our Mud school and Quest Academy, which will give you an idea of what to expect later on.

Molly O'Hara of 4 Dimensions
4Dimensions.org Port 6000

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 12:11 PM »
Hi Enarie,

If you aren't into enforced roleplay I would agree with Molly and try 4 Dimensions. They have a really cool game and setup and great quests and super administrator.

Good luck!
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com