The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Old codebase release  (Read 368 times)

kenny

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Old codebase release
« on: September 23, 2017, 12:17 PM »
I have no idea if this is the most appropriate place to post this but here goes...

As a part of a 16k MUD competition I wrote one called SlightMUD (smud) and didn't win, but it came about 6th I think.

After the competition I continued to host and write it for the next 4 years and it attracted a good player base and folk seemed to have fun. Most importantly I had a lot of fun coding it.

Lately I've been going through old backups as one does from time to time and decided to upload the code to github just to give it an airing and see if anyone is still flying the MUD flag.

I make no claims that this code is better or worse than any other, it is what it is. However I think it's easy to work with, most things are configurable and it's quite feature rich.

I've released it under the BSD licence, I welcome pull requests and am happy to answer questions via github.

https://github.com/ksb3214/smud

Regards
Kenny

PS. I haven't played a MUD for a long time, but if anyone decides to use the smud code, please let me know and I'll be there!

animlcrkrs

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Re: Old codebase release
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 12:48 PM »
What's that untyped SU parameter you have in a bunch of functions?

kenny

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 1:03 PM »
For the original competition we had to keep to 16k of source code so I rather overused macros.  After the comp I kept a few defined in src/include/smud.h

SU is a macro for 'short uid'

Incidentally as it's a saturday and I'm having a nostalgia trip, I'm sorting out the code to run nicely first time, well as nicely as I can anyway.

Thanks for looking.

kenny

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 2:15 PM »
Enthusiasm prevails... I have the MUD up on amber.org.uk 4000 for anyone who wants to see it.

To be clear I'm not running it as a serious MUD offering, only a demo of the codebase.