The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Issue with Promotions  (Read 345 times)

SteppinRazor

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Issue with Promotions
« on: August 26, 2017, 8:24 AM »
So apparently it's alright to promote your mud by advertising an event where a player is sold as a slave. Slavery is not an ok thing, and most especially not to be made light of.

Where is the difference between that, and:
Come on over to 4 Dimensions, where child prostitution is ok! You need a child bride? We got you! Remember, even if it's not approved by modern society, it's HISTORICAL, which makes it OK in our book!

I'm not a prude, but you need to draw the line at some point, so people aren't writing undercover troll posts to try and incite a controversy with the intent of bumping their thread. Mainly just because some people should be ashamed of using such subject matter as a selling point for their game, as I don't think anyone who's had any links to slavery would find it amusing to see some doughy basement dweller getting his jollies from being "enslaved".
Like a steppin' razor, better watch my sides.

Januz

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Re: Issue with Promotions
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 11:04 PM »
I agree, slavery is not something to be condoned... in REAL LIFE.

However, in a game, with areas that are set to be historically (either entirely, or somewhat so) accurate, coupled with the fact that players are adults, I think it totally fine to put that content in there.

This is of course, my two cents.
"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."
- Friedrich Nietzche

Molly

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 7:12 AM »
Where is the difference between that, and:
Come on over to 4 Dimensions, where child prostitution is ok! You need a child bride? We got you! Remember, even if it's not approved by modern society, it's HISTORICAL, which makes it OK in our book!

I'm not a prude, but you need to draw the line at some point, so people aren't writing undercover troll posts to try and incite a controversy with the intent of bumping their thread.

Well, thanks for the free advertisement, but offering underage brides to our players has never been one of 4D's many features. (I'm sure you could come up with something better, if you tried a bit harder, for instance the Sicilian Mafia from Pleasure Planet has been peddling drugs to the population for quite some time).

I'm not a prude either, nor am I a fan of splitting or vaulting threads, since it usually kills the discussion, which at some times have the potential to become interesting, (although this is probably not the case with this particular thread).

But I have a strong belief that the members of these boards can recognise a troll when they see one, and already have made up their mind about who the troll is in this particular context.
Molly O'Hara of 4 Dimensions
4Dimensions.org Port 6000

Epilogy

• TMC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 6:16 PM »
Very mature.

Call me a troll, and ban me for an entire month. The only person who is more interested, it seems, in promoting the entire community rather than their respective games.

**** it. Now I know why tyche, kavir, scandum, etc. Just decided to give this whole shebang the middle finger.

And for the record, you and kuroa are lazy cunts right up there with icculus. The only time you ever show up, or even do anything is when you continue your petty desire to arbitrarily ban people rather than come to any kind of understanding of the underlying problem which is this: ateraan is a ****ing hack who throws out meaningless replies left and right. That's spam. But... yknow... you call someone out on it because you motherfuckers are MIA, and are apparently too ****ing lazy to even be bothered to load up the page once a month... why and how the **** you even still have ANY kind of power here is completely beyond me.

So **** it. You win. **** tmc. **** your ass backwards carebear mentality. And a special fuxk you to molly, and kuroa, who's apparently too much of a hoe ass bitch to do anything but hit the ban bitton.

Zandy

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 10:28 PM »
Look out for that door....

MGrunbaum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 5:14 AM »
Serious suggestion, Epilogy: Take a step back, drink a cup of tea / coffee; bask in the sun; smile to yourself in the mirror; consider why you're so angry at random internet peoples :)

Good luck to you where-ever you end up!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 5:20 AM by MGrunbaum »

Molly

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
Enough is enough
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 8:25 AM »

Serious suggestion, Epilogy: Take a step back, drink a cup of tea / coffee; bask in the sun; smile to yourself in the mirror; consider why you're so angry at random internet peoples :)

I'll have to agree with MGrunbaum on this.
I'm usually not the first one to hit the ban button myself, but this last post was way over the line even for me. So, yeah, I am the one that banned you this time.

At the same time I'd like to comment a bit on how the moderator group usually  works.

Since we are all individuals, we all have a bit of different opinions on the point where a line has to be drawn. Judging from experience I'd say that Hades_Kane and myself are the ones most likely to let something questionable slip by at least for some time, while the other moderators tend to be a bit more firm.

This is one of the reasons why we usually discuss dubious cases within the group, before taking any action. The drawback with that is that the difference in our time zones causes a delay, which might be irritating to members of the boards, who like to see swift and decisive actions. But I think the advantages of different voices being heard before a decision is made oughtweighs that drawback.

Another more or less general rule is this: If one of us, or the game that we are running, gets targetted specifically by a poster, which has happened several times, we generally leave it to the rest of the Moderator group to take any decisive action. (Lets face it, our Muds are a bit like our babies, so it is only human to be a bit extra touchy about that, and so we keep our finger away from the button in those case).

Call me a troll, and ban me for an entire month. The only person who is more interested, it seems, in promoting the entire community rather than their respective games.

Well, I didn't actually call you a troll. I did however, in a somewhat roundabout way call SteppinRazor a troll,  and I'll stand for that. I stand for calling you a troll too by the way, since it seems fairly obvious by now what you are.

But there is one sentence in your post that still intrigues me.  Are you seriously claiming that you are "The only person who is more interested, it seems, in promoting the entire community rather than their respective games"?

Since I regrettably just hit the ban button on Epilogy, I am hoping that someone else in the community can explain that statement to me. In what ways, if any, is Epilogy promoting the entire mud community?

Molly O'Hara of 4 Dimensions
4Dimensions.org Port 6000

Zandy

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 9:15 AM »
And if by the fact he says he promotes the mud community does that make him one of the "faces" of the community?  If that's the case then it's a community I have no interest in being a part of.  Thankfully he does not represent the large portion of folks that I've met in my mudding life.  And he's also one of the reasons I don't play a particular mud.  And I think there are others that feel the same.

Tijer

• TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 10:55 AM »
Did wonder who steppinrazor was... now we know.... Hasnt really done anything good in promoting MUDs recently, just pretty much acts the troll, and talks down to everyone. which ISNT what we need, MUDs are slowly dying out, but having someone like him frequenting forums and posting his random crap on every single thread isnt really what is needed, so good to see him gone :)