The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Mudslinger client  (Read 1453 times)

Vodur

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Mudslinger client
« on: June 22, 2017, 12:18 AM »
Mudslinger is a basic web based MUD client that can be run as a standalone webserver or with existing webserver.

Source code and more details:
https://bitbucket.org/Odoth/mudslinger

Live version:
http://mudslinger.rooflez.com/
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 12:20 AM by Vodur »

aeonian

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Re: Mudslinger client
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 3:54 PM »
I've just started getting back into muds after a seven or eight year break. I am surprised at how few feature-rich online clients there are. If something like this had MSDP support, the ability to create graphical components (e.g., health bars, maps, buttons), and clickable text, it would be really useful.

Quixadhal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 1:44 PM »
It's a chicken and egg problem.

You can't really have a feature-rich client when the server isn't sending you structured data.  Any existing MUD sends data as a flat text stream that the client has to pick apart and somehow derive meaning.  Some parts are easy enough, others are pretty tricky and vary wildly from one game to the next.

However, mud admins refuse to change how their servers work because it would force their players to stop using their text stream based clients and accept a new one that could deal with fully structured data.

Basically, nothing will change until some mud admin decides to make the leap and build their own custom client that all their players will be forced to use.  What's more, they'd have to provide the source to both the client AND server to expect any adopters outside their own player base.

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 7:03 PM »
I think it's cool. As for features, java and flash can do all those things. HTML5 can too. Someone just needs to be willing to do the work.
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

aeonian

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 3:36 AM »
Basically, nothing will change until some mud admin decides to make the leap and build their own custom client that all their players will be forced to use.  What's more, they'd have to provide the source to both the client AND server to expect any adopters outside their own player base.

That's a pretty extreme position considering that generic protocol exist for sending out of band information (e.g., MSDP), standalone mud clients do offer widgets (e.g., Mushclient, Mudlet), and that these two things have already been combined to create reasonably decent (and, notably, generic) mud GUIs (e.g., KaVir's generic Mushclient plugin). So why hasn't someone made a web client with these features, yet? I would use it with my own mud in an instant.

Quixadhal

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 6:30 AM »
This discussion has happened before.  Search for it. :)

TL;DR version:  Muds make assumptions about presentation and spent a lot of time and effort processing data to fit a presentation model that relies on using a single text stream, because that's the client they feel they need to continue supporting.

Any client basically has to undo all that work, and then redo it for the actual presentation device.  OOB data can provide hints, but the client can't rely on it being there, as it cannot be required.

Vodur

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 3:27 AM »
Mudslinger is a slightly stripped down version of our Aarchon Web Client which does, in fact, have MSDP support, which drives a few gauges and other GUI elements.
https://bitbucket.org/Odoth/aarchon-web-client
http://aarchonmud.com/webclient/

I think it would be great to have effectively a zMUD/Mudlet/Mushclient clone in the browser, but it's no trivial effort.

In any case, I welcome anybody to use Mudslinger or Aarchon Web Client  as a starting point for such an effort, or as a base for their own MUD specific custom client.

Vodur

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 2:22 PM »
V0.1.2 live now

Minor fix to send CR+LF line endings instead of just LF.
Seems that most servers will support both, but some only support CR+LF, which is the telnet standard. So far I haven't encountered any servers that support only LF.

May need to do a force refresh (without cache) in your browser to pick up latest version.

Vodur

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 3:21 PM »
V0.1.3 live now

Small update to accept host/port parameters in url so people can make game specific connect links (from MUD website for instance).
Example: http://mudslinger.rooflez.com/?host=aarchonmud.com&port=7000

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 12:28 AM »
Pretty nifty Vodur. Nice work.

Be nice if it had the features of our Javan client on Ateraan.com (which is used mostly for people who play from work so it can look like notepad or other basic program).

I noticed some quirkiness when testing a login with color and line breaks. But it is quick and easy and that is a plus.
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

Vodur

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 1:11 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Ateraan. If you could be more specific about both the features you'd like to see and the "quirkiness" that would be great. I'd especially like to know the details of the "quirkiness" so I can try to reproduce and fix the issue. Is there a specific MUD you can point me to that you saw the issue with?

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2017, 12:14 AM »
You are very welcome. I'll send you a PM.
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

Vodur

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2017, 11:05 AM »
Thanks a lot for the details. I was able to find the issue and it's fixed now.

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 11:51 AM »
Thanks a lot for the details. I was able to find the issue and it's fixed now.
Checked it and it works like a charm. Nicely done. And excellent response.
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

Fata1Err0r

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2017, 9:48 PM »
Hmm, neat. :D I was actually looking for a project to work on for fun when I have free time. Going to check it out and see what I can do to help out with it all.