The Mud Connector

Author Topic: How realistic is coexistence between 2 (or many more) intelligent species?  (Read 4213 times)

Januz

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
This is mostly out of my own curiosity.

Lately, I've had the subject on my mind, and it struck me that builders and admins, in particular, may have already given this some thought because of the nature of creating game universes. So, I was hoping to see what kind of ideas others had on the matter. After all, in many ( almost all) MUDs, there are a plethora of races (species), and it seems like the underlying assumption is yes. And yet, here and there, there are MUDs that do humans only.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."
- Friedrich Nietzche

Hades_Kane

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
  • Owner / Administrator of End of Time
    • View Profile
    • End of Time
I don't think its unrealistic... I think it would be unrealistic in the sense of perfect harmony, unless we're talking about a Star Trek future utopia type of situation where an entire planet has moved beyond seeing division and has unified under a common concept of all being Earthlings.

That said, on my game, we have numerous race/species types and there are various conflicts and alliances depending on a combination of race/species and region.

Even most standard fantasy settings often have similar divisions, such as Dark Elves being hated by surface dwellers, or Dwarves not liking Elves, etc.
-Diablos
End of Time, a 100% free Final Fantasy & Chrono Trigger based MUD with a large original world, unique combat & magic systems, and more!
eotmud.com : 4000 • http://www.eotmud.comhttp://www.facebook.com/eotmud
http://www.mudconnect.com/mud-bin/adv_search.cgi?Mode=MUD&mud=End+of+Time

sarapis

• View Profile
    • Iron Realms Entertainment

Lately, I've had the subject on my mind, and it struck me that builders and admins, in particular, may have already given this some thought because of the nature of creating game universes. So, I was hoping to see what kind of ideas others had on the matter. After all, in many ( almost all) MUDs, there are a plethora of races (species), and it seems like the underlying assumption is yes. And yet, here and there, there are MUDs that do humans only.

You should check out the Remembrance of Earth's Past trilogy, by Chinese sci-fi writer Cixin Liu. https://www.amazon.com/Remembrance-Earths-Past-Three-Body-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B01N198VU5

You might not get the relationship to your question by the end of the first book, but you certainly will by the end of the third book, which I think might be the best sci-fi book I've ever read.
CEO, Iron Realms Entertainment
Achaea
Aetolia
Imperian
Lusternia
Starmourn

Khwarizmi

• New to TMC
    • View Profile

It would likely depend on a number of factors. To the extent that said species do not tend to inhabit the same niche, they might be completely indifferent to each other.

For more on that, see here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niche_differentiation

For example, conceivably, drow might not actually care much about surface-dwellers at all.

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
There is nothing strange or unrealistic about specias coexisting at all especially (like on Ateraan) they have their own language and culture AND interact in cohabitation cultures and a joint languages or multilingual languages.

The more fun part is the conflict between varying races and the roleplay surrounding it.
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

vosie

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Honestly it all comes down to the world. If the species were kept separate by geography for a length of time, easy. If they always were in close proximity, a little harder, but really, it's no different than multiple predators surviving on the same prey, as long as the supply is there.

nullscan

• TMC Member
    • View Profile
I think it would be unrealistic in the sense of perfect harmony, unless we're talking about a Star Trek future utopia type of situation where an entire planet has moved beyond seeing division and has unified under a common concept of all being Earthlings.

That said, on my game, we have numerous race/species types and there are various conflicts and alliances depending on a combination of race/species and region.

Even most standard fantasy settings often have similar divisions, such as Dark Elves being hated by surface dwellers, or Dwarves not liking Elves, etc.

Even when I was a kid watching ST: ToS reruns on late-night TV, I felt like there was something really wrong with the concept that peace or war stems from "unevolved thinking" or interpersonal hatreds.  As I got older, I realized that it really is a ridiculously shallow way of looking at the world.

The modern US, UK, EU, as well as ancient Greece, Rome, Egypt, and Carthage all stand as proof positive that race relations and even region and culture and religion have less than nothing to do with war or even with hatred.  It's the wars that cause the hatred to exist, and it's first resources and second politics that cause the wars.  Here in the USA, the war machine can't even decide if wannabe governments (classified as terrorist agencies) like "The Taliban" are our allies or enemies.  They were our allies against communist Russia during one particular communist chairman's reign because Afghanistan had resources the Soviets wanted but we didn't want them to have, then Taliban was nothing to us for a couple of decades because we had no interest in Afghanistan as a source of material or a political pawn, and then they were the focus of around 10 years of war (I'm not interested in arguing about whether this was an 'officially declared' war or just military action, I'm calling it a war) because their activities started to threaten both our resources (in crude oil) and political interests (in nations that produce oil or influence oil producers who we enjoy having the highest level of influence over) in the Middle East.

So yeah, it's totally realistic to have multiple races/species even sharing rent on the same apartment. 

The only question you should be asking yourself when it comes to allowing multiple races/species on your MU is whether it's going to be expected by the playerbase.  If you're running D&D and not allowing Dark Elves, it might be because you have plans to use the Drow in storylines and you don't want to risk hurting In Character player interests (in the form of contacts or allies that would become worthless when the Drow piss off the rest of the world).  If you're running D&D and allowing humans-only, it might be because you're too lazy to build a chargen that supports anything else or it might be because you've never really played D&D and don't get the point of other races, but in either event you're going to get laughed at and your game won't ever gain any form of popularity that's worth having.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 12:58 PM by nullscan »

Deschain19

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Just look at how different races and cultures of humanity get along. I don't know if you'd call it co-existence, so much as constant cultural assimilation, but I think it's feasible, given that we have enough in common with a species to communicate.

Ezmodius

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
We barely coexist with one intelligent species.

Flint Stovetop

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
We barely coexist with one intelligent species.

Well said, unfortunately...  :(

Even if your game only had humans, I am pretty sure there are going to be wars among themselves.  In most games that is what builds tension and leads to conflict, the game itself would most likely be boring othewise unless your game is all about crafting or something.  In the real world however, conflict and strife is never good.  :-\

Chrizzly

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
If humans are one of the species, I don't think it's realistic. Just look at how humans treat eachother and other animals, even animals that are quite intelligent. I do believe certain individuals would be able to coexist, but an entire species? That won't work, given how humans work.

Jodah

• View Profile
Some say men and women are different species.

desharei

• View Profile
Co-existence? Very realistic. It's how people are able to have pets that don't try to eat them in their sleep, or why gardeners have no problem with creepy-crawlies in the dirt. It's why some primate species have been known to nurse lion cubs. It's why beekeepers exist. Because we have learned to co-exist, to at least some extent, with our fellow Earthlings.

On the other hand - cohabitation with cross-species is not realistic.

On the third hand - fantasy games aren't supposed to be realistic. That's why they're called fantasy games and not earth-sims.