The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Looking For Builders: Replacing Stock Areas  (Read 1918 times)

Erion

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
    • Erion Homepage
Looking For Builders: Replacing Stock Areas
« on: May 09, 2017, 6:58 AM »
Work on Erion started in 2004 and out of package it was a QuickMUD/ROM. It has come a long way since then code-wise and the majority of the code is now original, written by me. What the game lacks is original areas with interesting content. So, now we're at the point where we're ready to start a big effort in replacing the stock areas with original medieval fantasy-themed content. We have a building website which is up-to-date and is a useful reference for builders new and old and 2 builders which are willing to help new writers get acquainted with building on the MUD.

Your tasks:
- Create and describe rooms, objects, NPCs. Descriptions should be unique, no copy/pasting. Areas are at minimum 50 rooms big.
- Create small storylines for missions (quests) that can be implemented either by yourself or me. (We use ROM-style progs (with 10 years of modifications) and a Lua-based scripting language for writing area programs.)

Requirements to build:
- Good command of the English language.
- At minimum a few hours spent getting acquainted with the game (not so much the areas since we're looking to replace many of them, but the code--our classes, leveling system, races, missions, etc).
- Some experience building on another MUD is preferable, but we can also teach anyone not familiar with building on ROM.
- A sample room description.

The game has been open to the public for a few years and the playerbase is small. The feedback we've gotten from players is that they love the game, the classes, leveling system, the mission system, etc., but there aren't enough areas to hold interest. So I think Erion could really benefit from new, original content. If you are interested, please stop by (address below) and send a tell to Maya (me). My time zone is UTC+1 and I'm usually on the MUD on and off throughout the day.

Thank you for reading. We look forward to hearing from you.

Erionmud.com Port 1234
http://erionmud.com/
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 10:09 AM by Erion »
Aelyn of Erion
erionmud.com port 1234
http://erionmud.com/

Unver

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Re: Looking For Builders: Replacing Stock Areas
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 9:32 PM »
Your server address doesn't seem to be resolving, so cannot connect.

AdventuresWithJ

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 9:32 PM »
 I second this ! The Building tutorial that is written is well-detailed, and super super super helpful. I can speak firsthand for this. As someone who dabbled with building years ago, then recently got back into it, the staff at Erion were incredibly patient + kind + helpful in making the building process (for me, as a semi-new builder) get my hands dirty. I learned a lot along the way, and am still an active player (and the occasional spell-checker) at Erion.

Scrabble Tiles for life!

AdventuresWithJ

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 9:34 PM »
Your server address doesn't seem to be resolving, so cannot connect.

Hey Unver, have you tried again? Erion hardly ever goes down, and the servers/staff are quick enough to get things fixed in a short time. Come join the fun! -someone whose been playing for the last 3 years