The Mud Connector

Author Topic: TMC Mud Listing - Approval?  (Read 9597 times)

Tijer

• TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: TMC Mud Listing - Approval?
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2017, 12:55 PM »
two days and it looks like the backlog of new listings has started to be cleared.  Hopefully this is a regular thing, and TMC can have the life back again :)
--Tijer

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2017, 10:54 PM »
It would be extremely sad if TMC were to close down.
I don't think anyone is suggesting TMC close down. Nor is anyone suggesting TMC isn't special and unique. However, I see no harm in creating a new, revamped, user friendly Forum for listing MUDs.

TMC, TMS, MudBytes, MudPortal and others wouldn't be affected at all by a new Listing Site. There are 100's of MUDs why not a few forums.

As for less players. I agree the players diminish perhaps, but I think there are still many seeking this style of game but they need a good method to understand our genre as well as the advantages of it which are still there.

During the next year I am going to try some marketing techniques to this end which I hope will benefit all of the MUDs that are currently active. I think another website will only assist in this venture as much as TMC staying active will as well.
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

ArashiPrime

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2017, 10:20 AM »
Having a new site to advertise will do you no good if you're only going to be reaching the same people who are already frequenting TMC, MudBytes, MudStats.com and similar sites.  What is most needed is a way to bring new people into the hobby, but no one has figured out how to do that yet.

Tijer

• TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2017, 10:25 AM »
Facebook is a way to get players with some kind of fb orientated mud client app that can be used to play perhaps via fb its self?
We missed a trick when people used netbooks, couldve gained lots of players then!  We also need better Android and iOS clients, as Blowtorch is a mess, and the iOS clients arent that much better either.
--Tijer

Hades_Kane

• TMC Veteran
  • Owner / Administrator of End of Time
    • View Profile
    • End of Time
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2017, 10:46 AM »
Cool! I'll keep an eye out, the one thing I'd recommend is as much automation as possible. The MU* community has been hurting as a result of MudStats and Mudconnect basically giving everyone the finger lol

I thought maybe my listing had gone up cause of the edit date, tried to edit the listing to see if it would show up on the recently editted but it does not. :(

It's apparently searchable though and not votable with an edit date (not done by me) on saturday, so I think maybe my listing got botched or glitched :(

It isn't letting me vote for it, but it is showing up in the "new listings" and "post apocalyptic" categories, along with showing when I search for the keyword "fallout".
-Diablos
End of Time, a 100% free Final Fantasy & Chrono Trigger based MUD with a large original world, unique combat & magic systems, and more!
eotmud.com : 4000 • http://www.eotmud.comhttp://www.facebook.com/eotmud
http://www.mudconnect.com/mud-bin/adv_search.cgi?Mode=MUD&mud=End+of+Time

Tijer

• TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2017, 1:41 PM »
ive had listings glitch and not be able to be found when trying to vote for them... At the time Icculus was more active on the site so fixed them in hours... I'd still suggest emailing him, as he may still respond! :)
--Tijer

Hades_Kane

• TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
    • End of Time
« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2017, 2:36 PM »
As far as the other stuff, I second/third/fourth/whateverth that if another listing site pops up, automation would be the best, especially automation that managed to poll MUD connections and either purge, deactivate, or flag possibly dead MUDs or MUDs that haven't been able to be connected to in more than 2 weeks (with these listings still being retained in the database and able to be reactivated by the manager of the listing).  That's my biggest issue with the listings here, otherwise, I think out of every site out there, this is the most friendly with regards to the numerous, numerous ways you can sort and view the listings (especially the theme categories).

As far as being involved in any other listing site, I'll be happy to participate in any capacity that I'm wanted, whether it be as a member of the forum or in any sort of administrative capacity.

I do agree with others that the most ideal situation would be to modernize TMC a bit more and figure out a solution that keeps it relevant and active, but I don't think that more listing sites (as opposed to forums) does anything to harm or dilute the community.  I could see an argument being made that discussion being spread too thin across multiple places means that no place is really getting much activity and that does harm the community, but I also think that especially with some discontent about how moderation operates here, having an alternative for people being able to voice their concerns and or have discussion out from under the moderation here would be a good thing.  However, places like Mudbytes (no one seems to like the software), Top MUD Sites (people seem to have an even bigger issue with the Administration there), Mud Portal (nothing seems wrong here, other than no one participating), and r/mud on Reddit (which I just recently discovered, and seems to actually be the 2nd most active place for MUD discussion) already exist, so I'm not really sure that another forum would do any good since the need for a "non TMC moderated" discussion area already exists across at least a couple of different platforms.  If anything (and if the owners of said sites were agreeable) I think having a "discussion" section that basically used an RSS feed like system to push MUD discussion from around the web (or more specifically, TMC, TMS, Mudbytes, Mudportal, and r/mud) into a single location for easier digest and access of that content, this would be a better system that wouldn't dilute the community.  If anything, this combined with MUD listings that are the most modern, updated, user friendly, comprehensive, and least percentage of dead MUDs on it... this could potentially make such a site the center hub where people may go without having to manually visit 4 or 5 different domains individually each day.  Be sure to include voting links in these listings (and if mudportal would be fine with including links to these MUDs using their web client), and such a site could cater to every bit of what admins and players look for in a site.  You could even call it something like "The MUD Hub" (themudhub.com domain is available, actually) and BAM.

In any case, I think trying to work up something that works with the existing sites would be good instead of trying to be an alternative or "competition" and that would be an unquestionable good thing for the community... I think setting up "yet another listing site" when something like Mud Portal (which offered listings, forum, and something no other site has been offering which is a modern, customizable client) didn't take off like it could have, that the prospects for the time, energy, and perhaps money invested being worth it are pretty slim.

Again, ideal situation would be for TMC to take all of this on and remain the most relevant, but in the absence of that, I think these could be workable ideas.
-Diablos
End of Time, a 100% free Final Fantasy & Chrono Trigger based MUD with a large original world, unique combat & magic systems, and more!

Hades_Kane

• TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
    • End of Time
« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2017, 3:27 PM »
Cool! I'll keep an eye out, the one thing I'd recommend is as much automation as possible. The MU* community has been hurting as a result of MudStats and Mudconnect basically giving everyone the finger lol

I thought maybe my listing had gone up cause of the edit date, tried to edit the listing to see if it would show up on the recently editted but it does not. :(

It's apparently searchable though and not votable with an edit date (not done by me) on saturday, so I think maybe my listing got botched or glitched :(

It isn't letting me vote for it, but it is showing up in the "new listings" and "post apocalyptic" categories, along with showing when I search for the keyword "fallout".

Oh, its showing on the front page side panel, too.

ive had listings glitch and not be able to be found when trying to vote for them... At the time Icculus was more active on the site so fixed them in hours... I'd still suggest emailing him, as he may still respond! :)

I want to say that others have brought up "oh, my newly listed MUD can't be voted on" before, and it was just a matter of a little bit of time for the site or database or something to update or get itself right, but I can't recall for sure.

Edited to add:

aaaaaand I just checked, it has a rank now and can be voted on, so it must just take a few for everything to catch up site wide.
-Diablos

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2017, 2:34 AM »
Having a new site to advertise will do you no good if you're only going to be reaching the same people who are already frequenting TMC, MudBytes, MudStats.com and similar sites.  What is most needed is a way to bring new people into the hobby, but no one has figured out how to do that yet.
I think you misunderstood what I posted. I'm not talking about advertising to current players. I'm talking about a campaign outside of this realm to bring people to this realm. I've been working on variations of this for years and think I have found a good campaign. We'll see how it goes but it will, in fact, point people to these locations (TMC/TMS,etc) as well as other active varied Text games.
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

MGrunbaum

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2017, 3:00 PM »
A few things off the top o' my head I think would be interesting:

• MUDs being able to post/list events/updates under their listing. Extra snazzy if this posts to FB/twitter/Medium/etc. as well, I suppose?
  • Something less dark in theme than most MUD websites tend to be. I know, I'm a programmer too, I like dark themes; but if the goal is to bring in new people...
  • A mechanism for approving MUDs that doesn't rely on a single person, but perhaps consensus from X out of Y mods/admins?
  • Ability to list unapproved MUDs automatically, maybe? Could simply be search-ranked lower, or something you toggle on, e.g. 'Show unapproved listings'
  • Automatic polling of MUDs on whether they are alive or not, and temporary deactivated flag for dead MUDs (that can turn permanent at mod approval or over time, perhaps, to weed out some of the long-dead ones?)

Outside of this, I think it would be nice if there was some way to aggregate the community chatter; there's X amount of sites + /r/MUD + a Discord channel + Intermud. Given the small size of the community, is there any one medium (f.ex Discord, or a Slack channel, or something else) that we might want to 'get behind' and list, to also help funnel question(s) from newbie's etc that may want a more realtime avenue than forum?

Completely aside the website, to really grab new people I think you want to get someone with a sense for design to:

• Actually describe what MUDs are and what they can offer
  • Make newbie resources extremely friendly, with up-to-date links to MUD clients on OSX / Windows / Linux, find one or two browser-based MUD clients that are reasonable to show also
  • Perhaps also highlight MUDs that are willing to label themselves as 'newbie friendly' and who would be ready to help players that have no clue what's going on hands-on

Also, I recall someone doing a MUD podcast - is that still a thing? More frequent news, of any kind, is probably good.

I'm primarily a programmer / academic fellow, so I can't really help with design; but if I can help let me know. I do know a few good website designers, but they're all fairly busy (and/or expensive), and are more conceptual / Sketch/photoshop design than code.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 3:05 PM by MGrunbaum »

Gicker

• View Profile
    • d20MUD: Star Wars
« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2017, 3:14 PM »
Good ideas MGrunbaum.  I have a site well underway.  One of the things we have set up already is a multi site forum feed.  Not sure how to incorporate reddit and discord into it, but it's worth checking.

I like the MUD events idea too.  Especially if we list upcoming MUD events on the front page.  Could help some MUDs get some exposure.  I agree about making it shareable on FB/Twitter as well.

The MUD polling thing is a good idea.  It would be easy enough to move a mud listing into a 'defunct' category that is separate from the other lists, when a MUD has been down for a certain number of days consecutively.

Oh, the theme is a light one as well :)

Given the popularity of Discord these days, I'd be happy to link the existing Discord group in the main menu area.

I like your other ideas too, but not sure I'm the best person to come up with that content.
d20MUD Star Wars: Role Play, PvE & PvP using d20 and SAGA rules
www.d20mud.com d20mud.com port 6000

4th Age Dragonlance Role Play & Adventure
gatesofkrynn.com port 4500

Gicker

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2017, 3:34 PM »
Actually I managed to get /r/MUD/ into the feed as well easily enough.  RSS makes it easy :)

Gicker

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2017, 5:02 PM »
Here's a sample of the multi forum feed thus far.  It also includes MUDBytes, Top MUD Sites and MUDPortal, just none of those have recent enough posts to show up in this snippet.  Clicking the subject title will open the corresponding web site and post in a lightbox.  The reddit feed does not have a lightbox effect, as Reddit didn't want to play nice, so it just opens in a new tab.

The site is coming along nicely.  I've imported all of the listings that have been updated in the past 30 months, and I've manually added/edited all listings in the TMC top 100.  I still have a fair bit of content to add, such as FAQs, resources, hosted files (like MUDBytes does) and so forth.  Not ready to post the link publicly yet, but anyone who wants to help test and/or suggest features/adjustments please send me a PM.

Cheers!

Gicker

MGrunbaum

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2017, 4:17 AM »
... I have a site well underway.

Great to hear!

One of the things we have set up already is a multi site forum feed.

That looks really awesome, actually :)

I like the MUD events idea too.  Especially if we list upcoming MUD events on the front page.  Could help some MUDs get some exposure.  I agree about making it shareable on FB/Twitter as well.

Exactly. Helps incentivize MUDs to be proactive about events too; there's some potential for abuse there, but I'm sure some decent rules and a note that mods are at their discretion to temporarily/permanently hide a MUDs events if they start abusing it. One way of abusing it would be to f.ex just spam events, or auto-generate them. You'd probably want helpful guidelines on what constitutes an event, maximum frequency of event(s) that can get listed, etc.

Given the popularity of Discord these days, I'd be happy to link the existing Discord group in the main menu area.

As far as I can tell, there is a Discord group, and there is also a Slack group called MUDCoders, with a website: https://mudcoders.com/. Personally I really don't like Discord as much as Slack (Slack has nice facilities for you to make/include chatbots easily, an API you can work with, etc. Discord is more like TeamSpeak basically), but the Discord group already has a decent number of people in it. I suppose we can list them all? Have a 'Site and chat resources' section that lists the various MUD websites with a small description, and also the Discord and Slack groups.

Gicker

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2017, 10:58 AM »

Exactly. Helps incentivize MUDs to be proactive about events too; there's some potential for abuse there, but I'm sure some decent rules and a note that mods are at their discretion to temporarily/permanently hide a MUDs events if they start abusing it. One way of abusing it would be to f.ex just spam events, or auto-generate them. You'd probably want helpful guidelines on what constitutes an event, maximum frequency of event(s) that can get listed, etc.

Yeah we will need some rules for it for sure.  I think as a rule, most mud admins are pretty responsible with this kind of thing.  One of the key things people have been wanting is automation, so I don't think we'll be 'pre-moderating' event listings, we'll just have moderators respond to abuses of the system.

As far as I can tell, there is a Discord group, and there is also a Slack group called MUDCoders, with a website: https://mudcoders.com/. Personally I really don't like Discord as much as Slack (Slack has nice facilities for you to make/include chatbots easily, an API you can work with, etc. Discord is more like TeamSpeak basically), but the Discord group already has a decent number of people in it. I suppose we can list them all? Have a 'Site and chat resources' section that lists the various MUD websites with a small description, and also the Discord and Slack groups.

I forgot about the Slack group.  I was visiting it at one point.  Yeah easy enough to add both.  Thanks for the reminder.