The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Cross Port Chat / Who List  (Read 7472 times)

Jindrak

• New to TMC
  • I've got a theory, it could be bunnies!
    • View Profile
Re: Cross Port Chat / Who List
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2017, 10:29 PM »
There used to be a snippet on Mudbytes.  Think it used a TCP socket if I remember right.  Tried looking for it but had no luck; pretty sure it came from the old MudMagic zip file and was released as a Rom snippet.  Just happen to remember it because I considered it as an alternative to I3/IMC for test/live ports like you looking for.  Will look on my laptop later today once I'm not at work; it used to sit in a snippet directory on it.

Scandum used to have a protocol for intermud communication on his tintin page also at one point.  Was called Arachnos or something similar to that but not sure the entire specifics of it as I don't think it was ever really adopted.  If its not there any longer one of his Emud or Lola releases had (partial? - not sure if it was complete or not - never used the feature) support for it.

Didnt that use the MSDP protocol to work Jindrak?

I think so, but not certain.  Its just one of those random bits of information I've filed mentally.  I remember reading through the specs once or twice but never did anything else with the protocol as nobody was really (at all) using it....

Legends of Hatred
Diku->Merc | Miniboa | Pyom->GodWars
(as time allows - damn real life)

PythonWars
Rom->Miniboa/Pyom->GodWars

RahjIII

• TMC Member
    • View Profile
    • The Last Outpost
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2017, 6:48 PM »
I'd keep it simple and go with a plain jane tcp stream with maybe a little shared-key exchange at the start.  Doesn't sound like you need anything fancy.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 6:57 PM by RahjIII »
"The Last Outpost"

Tijer

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 2:26 PM »
Why reinvent the wheel when there is a snippet out that that almost does what you need it to!! ?? !!
--Tijer
War of Legend    • Mud • Waroflegend.net port 4200   • Web • http://www.waroflegend.net
Aadarian Realms • Mud • Aadaria.net port 1111/1114  • Web • http://www.aadaria.com

darksix

• TMC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2017, 5:42 AM »
Just an idea if you don't want to use i3. Before mu coding and such I did a good bit of coding and or making modules for irc servers and also bots that relayed info through tcp streams especially between non inter-connected irc servers. Could perhaps make a bot that connects to both servers or multiple servers that is an immortal that is invisible to users that just echo's to and forth far as chat goes and would look like normal chat if done right. Far as including the devs in the who list is another story though, but it could be done with a few functions and a little effort. Only thing you would have to really worry about is descriptors for characters and such which would be in that function and continuing over them to keep from sefgaulting allowing the fake data to be transmitted into the who of both. Could code this relay bot in tcl, python, or any other language if needed. Though i3 is probably the way to go, I haven't used i3 in many years since I've never needed a use for it, but is included in the old and new MindCloud versions if you enable it. One other thing to look for is an honest mistake I've done a few times and ran both dev and main server from the same directory.. Make sure to avoid this, and you would see why pretty quickly with files being used at the same time, but a good idea is to crontab a backup of all area's/pfiles between both ports every few hours to keep everything up to date and in case of a possible problem with pfiles can always revert backups :) ...Suppose I'm just rambling but can use multiple ways of implementing server/client side coding to achieve what you want with or without i3.  Also people still use i3 and is there somewhere that has a main server with chat that goes on between all that are connected? Like I said haven't used it for years, but might be nice to have a little bit of extra chat going on. Good luck OP.
Come by Darklord! Server: darklord.evils.in Port: 9100 - Yep thats a new addy.

Tijer

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2017, 5:43 PM »
i3 is still used, its predominantly LP MUDs and DeadSouls on there, but yes.. it still exists and there's still chatter.....
--Tijer
War of Legend    • Mud • Waroflegend.net port 4200   • Web • http://www.waroflegend.net
Aadarian Realms • Mud • Aadaria.net port 1111/1114  • Web • http://www.aadaria.com

Quixadhal

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2017, 11:10 PM »

Gicker

• View Profile
    • d20MUD: Star Wars
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2017, 3:01 PM »
Cool, thanks for those links Quixadhal.
d20MUD Star Wars: Role Play, PvE & PvP using d20 and SAGA rules
www.d20mud.com d20mud.com port 6000

4th Age Dragonlance Role Play & Adventure
ageofdragons.com port 4000

Quixadhal

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2017, 4:06 PM »
Cratylus runs the current I3 router, and imposes only minimal supervision on it.  There are plenty of channels, and you can make you own at will, but only 4 or 5 get any real use these days.

"intergossip" is the most commonly used one for general BS... also called imud_gossip for historical reasons.
"dchat" is the somewhat more polite version.
"intercre" is more of a "ask general tech type questions" channel
"ds" is for dead souls specific questions

"free_speech" is a horrible hive of scum and villainy, and shouldn't ever be looked at. :)

I have a "url" channel which tries to look up some details about urls that get posted to avoid rick rolling.  It sometimes works.

There is no limit on how many channels you can subscribe to, beyond your game client's code.  As a general rule, you should use caution when letting people talk on them if they can't control themselves.

If you make a channel for your own mud, you can either leave it open (the default) or make it invite only.  As long as you don't mind packets going out to the router and back, an invite only channel is basically a local channel without needing to write code for local channels.

zabaduba

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2018, 1:47 PM »
Does the Diku i3 code that Quixadhal work with derivatives like ROM? I've tried a few different implementations but it seems that a lot of code needs to be rewritten to make things work...

Tijer

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2018, 6:36 AM »
if you put -DI3ROM in your makefile i think it uses the specifications for the rom codebase!
--Tijer

LokiCM

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2018, 10:33 AM »
I am not a coder, so I don't know how CoffeeMUD has implemented this behavior, but Bo has worked very diligently to integrate multiple CoffeeMUDs on a single server.  Besides using I3 to communicate with other MUDs, CoffeeMUD can share resources on a single server with each other, and you can specify which resources are shared.  For example, one could run 2 different CoffeeMUDs with only the CoffeeMUD engine being shared, or add a third that shares the map and user-base with the first mud, or add a fourth that shares the map and uses a separate account system.  You could apply different settings (such as development code) to different versions that you have running.
CoffeeMUD is available on GitHub at: https://github.com/bozimmerman/coffeemud.  See licensing for details about borrowing code (again, I am not a coder, nor a lawyer, just a builder trying to share information with other MUDders!)

scandum

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2018, 9:55 PM »
An alternative to consider is Arachnos. Rather than having each MUD connect to a central server, a client connects to each mud using the MUD's existing socket code. More info here:

https://tintin.sourceforge.io/protocols/msdp/arachnos/

If a mud already has MSDP support it's fairly easy to add.

An arachnos spider exists in the form of a tt++ script.

https://tintin.sourceforge.io/arachnos/arachnos.tin