The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Intentionally obscurring damage data to the player  (Read 845 times)

Hades_Kane

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
  • Owner / Administrator of End of Time
    • View Profile
    • End of Time
Re: Intentionally obscurring damage data to the player
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2016, 3:47 PM »
We show numbers, so I have no dog in the fight, really.

I've seen players spend weeks data collecting/crunching to best min/max their characters, so I have no doubt that a handful will spend a long, long time doing so in testing weapons.

I guess the overall question is more of a matter of does one make design choices to offset or take into account a small minority of players that will use every tool available to gain an advantage over others that lack the skill or tools available.

That said, though, if a game were to hide their numbers (and even if said numbers are shown), I would argue that same game should also have the majority of weapons able to be identified, on sight (or with an 'examine') how it generally compares to another weapon of the same weapon class.  Case in point, establish whether a bronze sword is better than an iron sword, and keep that consistent across your game.  I've been on way too many games where material and other similar descriptive nature of a blade is super inconsistent.  I've ran across iron and probably even wooden swords that did more damage than a mythril or titanium sword, and it wasn't that the iron or wooden swords were exceptional, they were mundane in every other manner aside from just being higher level.

Then you just have the special or quest weapons being matter of "is one better than the other."
-Diablos
End of Time - A Final Fantasy & Chrono Trigger based MUD looking for players & builders!
eotmud.com : 4000 • http://www.eotmud.comhttp://www.facebook.com/eotmud
http://www.mudconnect.com/mud-bin/adv_search.cgi?Mode=MUD&mud=End+of+Time

Ateraan

• New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2016, 4:15 PM »
And yet, if you hide the numbers, all you're doing is forcing the player to use trial and error to decide what weapon is better.
There are relics and guilds that specialize in identifying how good a weapon or armor is. It is done through skills, abilities, and roleplay.
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

Ateraan

• New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2016, 4:16 PM »
Maybe I'm speaking out of turn, but surely there is SOME measure (even if its just descriptive) that illustrates the relative damage of a weapon?
Our system does have multiple levels of descriptive metrics damage based on how hard a weapon hits (eg. lightly, heavily, etc).
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com