The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Someone Needs To....  (Read 2789 times)

Nexus187

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Someone Needs To....
« on: November 18, 2016, 7:43 PM »
Someone needs to make a mega mud, with everything from DBZ to Fanasty, or whatever that person can think of.  It would be a beast and I would play it!!!

Quixadhal

• View Profile
Re: Someone Needs To....
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 1:07 AM »
Well, get to work on it.

The main thing you'll need to do for this is to have conversion factors for all the different environments, and make your server apply the correct ruleset based on the area you're in.

So, if you have a sword that does 2d6+2 slashing damage, and a laser that does 1d6+1 heat damage and 1d6+1 energy damage, you just need to ensure that the target's armor knows how to deal with each damage type.

And you'll need crossover rules for different mechanics.  Magic spells that take mana and have casting time.  Physical attacks that take endurance and recovery time.  Chemical attacks that require materials.  Electronic attacks that require access or hacking.

You'll want to plan this out and design your systems to be able to handle missing values, because when you add the smurf village, none of your existing armor will have a defense value against smurfberries, but it'll still need to act in a sensible fashion.

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 12:13 PM »
Haha, Quixadhal!

I think that was the point. He wants someone else to create it. MUD creation is way too hard as we all well know! Playing is much more fun.
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

Nexus187

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 12:01 PM »
ANd plus I have no time to focus on a mud like what I discuss, just throwing something out there to see if it sticks.

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 3:01 PM »
Nothing wrong with that. It is from good ideas that great games are made.
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

Epilogy

• TMC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 11:07 PM »
So you would play it, but you'd have no time to focus on it?

I feel a presence I haven't felt since...

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 10:56 AM »
My bet would be he/she wouldn't play it as it would be years before this is created and the person creating would likely give up. :P
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

Nexus187

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 6:22 PM »
I guess not if it started small get a player base and staff that are committed

Hades_Kane

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
  • Owner / Administrator of End of Time
    • View Profile
    • End of Time
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 12:02 PM »
I've been following the thread and I've been hesitant to chime in, just because everything I have to say is pretty much negative about it and I'm not one to try to discourage someone's ideas or creative process, but there is a lot I have to say about it so why not... it's a discussion forum, right?

Any game I've played that was a large hodgepodge of different themes, systems, source material, etc., has been a rather unenjoyable, cluttered, buggy, and unbalanced mess that tried too hard to focus on too many unrelated, competing systems, and rather than any single thing in the game being properly fleshed out, the focus being spread so thin made a collection of half-assed systems that didn't work very well individually as a result, nor did it work together well as a whole, either.

Even within the Final Fantasy theme/genre, of which I've been a part of since '99, I've seen dozens of games within that come and go, and for a time there was a bit of a push or inclination toward many of these games to try to include pretty much everything... having areas from every entry, having classes, materia, magicite, and so on all side by side.  My previous description of the cluttered mess also perfectly describes the games I'm describing now, and that's even within a single theme.  The problem is compounded when you're trying to mix a medieval fantasy wizard, with a super saiyan, with mega man, with a vulcan with a dragonrider, with a vampire, with a terminator, with a smurf, with a moogle, with a jedi, with a demi-god, etc.

Even if you figure out balance and how to translate all of those different concepts into a system that doesn't just grossly misrepresent what you are trying to play, then there's the issue of the work involved.

The MUD idea being described would be easily 10 times the work of a traditional MUD, and it would take at least that for any of the systems to be accurately represented.  You need a magic system with a mana pool for any magic users, you need a blood pool system for vampires, you need to translate a Mega Man like character's health and energy representation in a manner different and scaled differently to the wizard along with making sure that the E tanks used to regen his health are separate from how other characters do.  Then, you need to figure out a system of balance with regards to a force user's ability, but it needs to be a separate system from magic otherwise all you've done is cheapen either the magic system or the force system by just restringing a few things.  And then you need a system for power level for the Saiyan's, with the ability to train to increase power level, and again, this is a separate system from Mega Man's energy levels, wizard's mana pool, vampire's blood pool, etc.

Who would be motivated to put this amount of work into so many completely different systems?  Even if motivated, who would have the time?  You'd practically need an entire team of coders (which come with its own set of issues and difficulties), but most MUDs can't even seem to hold on to more than a single coder and plenty have issues even holding on to 1.

And well, if an insane amount of code work isn't put into each system individually, then you have a watered down mess where nothing is represented like it should, and I can promise you a would-be Jedi or Saiyan rolls into this game and finds the system they want to play cheap and under-representative of that class or race or whatever (especially compared to games that specialize in the theme and where they could much easily play a better coded version of that), they're going to either immediately leave, or raise hell and whine about how on X or Y MUD the system works like this and how come on this MUD they don't have A, B, or C.

While the general idea of a mulit-verse MUD where literally anything is possible sounds neat on the surface, once you start boiling down the reality it simply falls apart.

With hobbyist game design, you pretty much have two choices... you can narrow your focus and do a handful of things very well, or you can spread yourself too thin and do a whole lot of things (at best) mediocre.  If I want to play a Jedi, a Saiyan, a Vulcan, an X-Men, a Wizard, etc., why would I want to play a half-assed, mediocre version of it?  Is being able to have my Jedi fight a Saiyan in a cluttered, messy game with likely equally messy and cluttered combat really worth playing such a watered down version?

This idea would be much better suited toward a "talker" type of "game", whether it be chat room roleplay or a situation where all game mechanics are simulated through roleplay or emotes.
-Diablos
End of Time - A Final Fantasy & Chrono Trigger based MUD looking for players & builders!
eotmud.com : 4000 • http://www.eotmud.comhttp://www.facebook.com/eotmud
http://www.mudconnect.com/mud-bin/adv_search.cgi?Mode=MUD&mud=End+of+Time

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 2:23 AM »
I don't think you should ever hold back your opinion HK. However, I'd like it if it was a little more succinct. :-)
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

Thraxian

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 10:54 AM »
Brevity is overrated.

Gicker

• View Profile
    • d20MUD: Star Wars
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 12:22 PM »
Haha, HK is a self-admitted long-winded writer.  I do like to read his posts though (when I have a half hour to set aside :D, j/k)
d20MUD Star Wars: Role Play, PvE & PvP using d20 and SAGA rules
www.d20mud.com d20mud.com port 6000

4th Age Dragonlance Role Play & Adventure
ageofdragons.com port 4444 or port 4500

Hades_Kane

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
  • Owner / Administrator of End of Time
    • View Profile
    • End of Time
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 2:56 PM »
However, I'd like it if it was a little more succinct. :-)

You and everyone else :p

This was my profile pic on Facebook for a while:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 2:58 PM by Hades_Kane »
-Diablos
End of Time - A Final Fantasy & Chrono Trigger based MUD looking for players & builders!
eotmud.com : 4000 • http://www.eotmud.comhttp://www.facebook.com/eotmud
http://www.mudconnect.com/mud-bin/adv_search.cgi?Mode=MUD&mud=End+of+Time

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2016, 2:07 AM »
Very nice. That is classic and it fits!
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

Drizzt1216

• TMC Member
    • View Profile
    • tbaMUD
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2016, 11:30 PM »
However, I'd like it if it was a little more succinct. :-)

You and everyone else :p

This was my profile pic on Facebook for a while:

tl;dr