The Mud Connector

Author Topic: MUDding With No Internet  (Read 2888 times)

Codeacula

• Wannabe MUD Programmer
    • View Profile
    • RinoraMUD
MUDding With No Internet
« on: September 13, 2016, 11:11 AM »
So, I dropped off for a bit.

Mostly because I started looking for a house. Then I got sucked into FFXIV (I'll be playing again, too). Then we bought a new development, had to fight with the builders, and got moved in. Hopefully in October we'll have cable internet. (I'm not paying for satellite.)

Given that things are quieting down, I'm tempted to get back into building on my MUD again. The problem, of course, is having no internet means no external testing. I can run it locally, of course, which should work for now, but it's going to make a part of my project a tiny bit harder to do.

I wanted to have the MUD go hand-in-hand with a website, to allow people who want to make their own to have the whole deal. Now, I don't currently plan on including forums or the like, because I want to make a game and not reinvent the wheel in that aspect, but I *would* like to have an administrative backend that uses websockets to connect with the game world and allow admins to manage the game that way.

Additionally, given the game architecture, those with the proper permissions should be able to use the web-based editor to edit the Lua scripts being used to drive most of the game. My current plan involves storing the Lua scripts in the backend, and when the game boots reading them in, compiling them, and keeping them in state. When one is edited, it will refresh the state from the completed script (after, hopefully, some checking is done to make sure syntax errors and such aren't introduced).

Anywho, I just wanted to drop in and say hello, and let everyone know where the heck I'm going, in case anyone cares.

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
Re: MUDding With No Internet
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 10:04 AM »
We care and hello!
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

msondo

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 12:32 AM »
I have run local mud servers with my partner before. It's a great alternative sandbox for us to chat and RP. Cheers!

Gamblejay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 12:31 PM »
So, I dropped off for a bit.

Mostly because I started looking for a house. Then I got sucked into FFXIV (I'll be playing again, too). Then we bought a new development, had to fight with the builders, and got moved in. Hopefully in October we'll have cable internet. (I'm not paying for satellite.)

Given that things are quieting down, I'm tempted to get back into building on my MUD again. The problem, of course, is having no internet means no external testing. I can run it locally, of course, which should work for now, but it's going to make a part of my project a tiny bit harder to do.

I wanted to have the MUD go hand-in-hand with a website, to allow people who want to make their own to have the whole deal. Now, I don't currently plan on including forums or the like, because I want to make a game and not reinvent the wheel in that aspect, but I *would* like to have an administrative backend that uses websockets to connect with the game world and allow admins to manage the game that way.

Additionally, given the game architecture, those with the proper permissions should be able to use the web-based editor to edit the Lua scripts being used to drive most of the game. My current plan involves storing the Lua scripts in the backend, and when the game boots reading them in, compiling them, and keeping them in state. When one is edited, it will refresh the state from the completed script (after, hopefully, some checking is done to make sure syntax errors and such aren't introduced).

Anywho, I just wanted to drop in and say hello, and let everyone know where the heck I'm going, in case anyone cares.

I currently live out in the boondocks so I feel your pain with satellite. However, a solution I did find was that my phone still got around 3 bars with 4g LTE. I use Sprint and have their unlimited plan. So with that in mind I went and purchased PDAnet, which allows me to tether my phone to my computer and use my 4g internet. The internet is decent enough that I can play games like LoL without lag, CSGO runs me around 90 ping. And of course, way more than enough to tinker with MUDs.

Just something to consider.

secrete

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 1:09 PM »
Congrats on the house being finished, building can be a special nightmare.
Joanna
aka Lorana of EoT