The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Graphical MUD (Dev Pre-Alpha)  (Read 19201 times)

Ashlan

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
    • The Chronicles of Encarnia
Re: Graphical MUD (Dev Pre-Alpha)
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2016, 9:17 PM »
What language is this coded in? I'm taking a Python course right now  ;D

Relisa

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2016, 11:31 PM »
What language is this coded in? I'm taking a Python course right now  ;D

It is coded in JavaScript. The server runs off of Node and MongoDB. The web client is JavaScript as well, along with HTML & CSS.

Relisa

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2016, 7:35 PM »
Just a quick update for everyone with some good news.

The following will not need to be wiped after all:
Characters
Account Storage Items
Inventory Items
Items in Rooms

The following will be wiped if not in your inventory or storage at the time of the update:
Mailbox Items
Auction Items

So, feel free to play your current characters or create new ones now.

I will give a 5 day warning before doing the update, but it still being developed. Things that still need to be changed: UI stuff, House Maid, Housing access from the cities previously listed, new Recall Skill (returns you to your bind point, but can only be used every 10 minutes), and Quest System. 

Along with the server stuff, I have been working on graphics as well. I have a base template for player avatars now, which can quickly be iterated upon for both male and female faces. Creatures will be in a similar fashion with just a head graphic. I am still working on the new game board graphic layout.

I want to run something by y'all and get some feedback. I am currently contemplating whether or not to create a standalone client using Unity 3D. Technically, it would be a separate client and the web version would be updated as well, albit with limited animations. With Unity3D, I can do some things quite a bit easier when it comes to animations, graphics, and UI. For instance, the standalone client would allow for more dynamic animations, 3D (think Hearthstone in a way) and standardized playing area / UI for everyone - no matter their resolution.

Another thing I want to ask about the current UI. Do you benefit from movable windows in any way currently? Would you be okay with a static smart window system (Think Diablo 3 or Tree of Saviour). By having a static smart window system, drag and drop can be eliminated from the following: Inventory <-> Crafting, Inventory <-> Auction Selling, Inventory <-> Trade, Inventory <-> Storage, Inventory <-> Clan Vault, and Inventory <-> Mail. Things that would maintain drag & drop: Inventory -> HotBar, Inventory -> Item Drop, and Skills & Spells -> HotBar.

It would be great if I could get some feedback on this. I know progress has been slow, but I have been able to speed it up recently thanks to summer.

demonkadar

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2016, 11:45 AM »
Any update on this project, it seems I joined a bit late since I can't create an account on the server or log in if it did create my account. I was wondering also if you were still going to be releasing the codebase for this project?

Relisa

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2016, 9:27 AM »
Demonkadar you should be able to log in. At least I am able to. And, yes I am going to release the source code, but it will not have any database data or artwork along with it. That will be up to others to implement as they see fit. The current problem is there are two code branches. The in progress dev branch and the current stable release on the dev server. The thing is, both are similar, but the in progress branch is quite different in some areas. I will probably release both as options, but the in progress branch is not complete and probably will not run right off the bat; it also has not been tested and is probably broken in some areas.

I am not really working on it now, because I could never get enough interest in it. When that happens I move onto other projects.

demonkadar

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2016, 4:23 PM »
I played the game this was based off almost 18 years ago, very intrigued about it :)

Relisa

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2017, 10:23 PM »
This is now closed. It is no longer active since I do not want to get messages about it further. The database is wiped. The server terminated. It is not coming back up. I will not be sharing the code for the server, so please do not ask about it.

Quixadhal

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2017, 12:10 AM »
I will not be sharing the code for the server, so please do not ask about it.

Pity.  Yet another big chunk of man hours wasted and flushed down the toilet.  It's your call, of course, but I made the decision to always put ALL my non-work code up for public consumption... because I know I get bored and wander off... and if anyone else learns from my junk, my time wasn't entirely wasted. :)

MUDPlayer

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2017, 3:23 PM »
Yes, truly a pity.  I have just discovered this thread and thus have not read every post and reply, but it looked very promising.  Yet I can not fault someone for losing interest considering how many projects are on hiatus on my end, but never truly abandoned...

Sad this game is done and over with though...
Never mistake my kindness for a weakness...

It is not weak to value life...