The Mud Connector

Author Topic: RP Required M*s: How much reading is too much for a new player?  (Read 7100 times)

Epilogy

• View Profile
Re: RP Required M*s: How much reading is too much for a new player?
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2018, 12:07 AM »
Considering it's all text, I think it's actually kind of a silly question. You'd want them to read it all, right? Then maybe just deliver it in digestible chunks. Don't throw a history book at them, all I can think of.
TheDude is dead.

Stop bothering me already 3:

Molly

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2018, 4:00 AM »
I'm also not sure why there would be convicts on board of a colony ship, unless you want to appeal to psychopathic players? I'd suggest giving that aspect of the setting some serious thought.

The convicts definitely make sense to me. Storywise, it's not unlikely that Earth would take the chance of getting rid of some unwanted elements, by deporting them to another planet. After all that is largely how modern Australia started. The colonists, who went on the journey voluntarily, might in turn welcome some 'cheap labour' to relieve them of the hard chores. And then of course the convicts ran off at first chance after the ship landed, and built their own camps.

Actually that's probably the main idea for the gameplay, since it presents a direct conflict between different groups of players directly from the start. (There is probably a third group too, the scientists who so mysteriously disappeared). The "choice" the players are presented with when they wake up might be as simple as deciding which side they would join. And actually that is so fundamental to the game that I am starting to think that instead of being too long, your initial text is a bit too short, since all that sort of gets lost in the bland phrase  'Or will you allow this last remnant of humanity to die out once and for all?'

Who's to say that the colonists are the best chiice for survival? I think this initial conflict needs to be better explained in the introduction.

Molly O'Hara of 4 Dimensions
4Dimensions.org Port 6000

Teryel

• TMC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2018, 5:18 AM »
I'm also not sure why there would be convicts on board of a colony ship, unless you want to appeal to psychopathic players? I'd suggest giving that aspect of the setting some serious thought.

Evidently knows nothing of global history.

nabu256

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2018, 8:46 AM »
Reading is horrible, get rid of it.  Add a tl;dr version. 
This but less ironically. I'm still toying with the idea of a small enough hard limit on MUD output thrown at the player at once.  Let's be honest, dropping multiple paragraphs of lore is a lazy shortcut for creator. The same information can always be split to tweet-like chunks and designed as a quest with a bonus of interactivity and better immersion. The only drawback is that latter option involves more effort.

Hades_Kane

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
  • Owner / Administrator of End of Time
    • View Profile
    • End of Time
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2018, 10:58 AM »
Reading is horrible, get rid of it.  Add a tl;dr version. 
This but less ironically. I'm still toying with the idea of a small enough hard limit on MUD output thrown at the player at once.  Let's be honest, dropping multiple paragraphs of lore is a lazy shortcut for creator. The same information can always be split to tweet-like chunks and designed as a quest with a bonus of interactivity and better immersion. The only drawback is that latter option involves more effort.

Regardless, there needs to be a pitch.

Who is going to log into a MUD and put work into playing it with not knowing a single thing about it?  Ok, I'm sure a few people might, but in a general sense?

His description struck me more like the "pitch" or description on a listing site, which is perfectly appropriate.  But again, I've never played an RPI MUD, so I don't know if "Welcome to X MUD! Here, read ALL THIS FIRST" is standard practice or not...
-Diablos
End of Time, a 100% free Final Fantasy & Chrono Trigger based MUD with a large original world, unique combat & magic systems, and more!
eotmud.com : 4000 • http://www.eotmud.comhttp://www.facebook.com/eotmud
http://www.mudconnect.com/mud-bin/adv_search.cgi?Mode=MUD&mud=End+of+Time

nabu256

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2018, 4:34 PM »
My bad, I missed the "How much reading should be required before someone steps into your game?" part. In my defense it was buried in the wall of text and I skimmed everything between the first and last paragraph, so it's an answer by itself too, I guess.

scandum

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2018, 7:07 PM »
The convicts definitely make sense to me. Storywise, it's not unlikely that Earth would take the chance of getting rid of some unwanted elements, by deporting them to another planet. After all that is largely how modern Australia started. The colonists, who went on the journey voluntarily, might in turn welcome some 'cheap labour' to relieve them of the hard chores. And then of course the convicts ran off at first chance after the ship landed, and built their own camps.
The context is entirely different however. The first interstellar colony ship might cost as much as 10 million per passenger. When England was shipping convicts to Australia it was cost effective to do so. If another solar system was sending back a rare mineral for example, and earth was sending empty spaceships to pick up cargo, it would be tempting to fill them up with convicts. However, we're talking about the first colony ship here.

Since we're talking about a jungle planet with large predatory lifeforms it would make more sense to have military personnel or mercenaries on board. Avatar is a good example of hard science-fiction adding that touch of realism. It's a more plausible explanation for having a tougher crowd on board, and conflicting chains of command.

Hades_Kane

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
  • Owner / Administrator of End of Time
    • View Profile
    • End of Time
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2018, 7:19 PM »
It's a more plausible explanation for having a tougher crowd on board, and conflicting chains of command.

Especially if the survivors have reason to believe Earth is gone, there's no longer any effective chain of command or reason to abide by whatever chain of command that was established before.
-Diablos
End of Time, a 100% free Final Fantasy & Chrono Trigger based MUD with a large original world, unique combat & magic systems, and more!
eotmud.com : 4000 • http://www.eotmud.comhttp://www.facebook.com/eotmud
http://www.mudconnect.com/mud-bin/adv_search.cgi?Mode=MUD&mud=End+of+Time

Epilogy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2018, 9:23 AM »
It's a more plausible explanation for having a tougher crowd on board, and conflicting chains of command.

Especially if the survivors have reason to believe Earth is gone, there's no longer any effective chain of command or reason to abide by whatever chain of command that was established before.

Things would likely devolve almost immediately after that, and the man with the club, gun, etc. is the man who makes the rules. Lord of the Flies, and all that.

Like I told my girl the other night, with slight contextual changes...
Yeah, I could probably survive that, but I'd rather not be the last man standing because I could out-cannibalize the other 35 people stuck here with me.
TheDude is dead.

Stop bothering me already 3:

Molly

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2018, 12:27 PM »

Heh, that made me think about a nice twist to a future EP event:

Let's assume that humanity on Earth isn't totally extinct, but due to the wars they have managed to damage the environment to such an extent that it can now only support a small fraction of its earlier inhabitants.

So, a few years after the colonists landed on their new planet, and are happily exploiting its various assets, and also have had time to establish some sort of fragile balance between the different fractions, they receive some kind of communication from Earth, with the message, that one or more spaceships are on the way to join the already established colonists, and that they obviously are expecting assistance and cooperation...

Wouldn't that be an interesting situation?   ;)

Molly O'Hara of 4 Dimensions
4Dimensions.org Port 6000

Drizzt1216

• View Profile
    • tbaMUD
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2018, 1:40 PM »

Evidently knows nothing of global history.

Scandum's many things. Moron isn't one of them.

He's also right. The people we'd invest millions or billions of dollars into would not be convicts.

musicmyxtress

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2018, 10:59 PM »
So this is just me.
I get bored more quickly if I have to go to your website and read read read, and yet, I'm absolutely hooked if the newbie area has story elements in it. Take Aetolia, Achia, and New moon. they tell you the lore and some back story, but you're not reading it, you're living it so to speak. I love the idea of putting the lore in the newbie area. An automated story that plays out when you've already started playing, the more interaction the better.
Ps: Hmm... I like your three paragraphs. Let me know when this mud comes out if it hasn't already... lol.

desharei

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2018, 10:46 AM »
How much reading should depend on a few things.

If you want to simply find out whether it's a mud-type and genre you're interested in, then a paragraph is all you need. If you have already decided you want to try it out, then another few paragraphs explaining the game world, races, whether or not it's skill-based or RP based or both - would do the trick.

If you've decided you want to try it out, and now need to actually begin the process of creating a character, then you need to know some things about the kind of character you're thinking of playing. This is where the reading part becomes more complex. You want to play a half-elf? How about first learning how half-elves are treated by the general in-game population. Learn about any quirks that ALL half-elves come with, or discover that they have no such quirks.  Find out that yes, you sure can make a happy cheerful half-elf who loves robbing apartments on the sly, however - half-elves do not come with the coded "rob apartment" skill so your happy cheerful half-elf will never actually be successful at it.

You need to know about your character's place in the world, because your character isn't being BORN the moment he shows up in the game. Your character (unless it's a kiddie mud) has existed for at least a dozen years. He already has a history. You, the player, need at least a tl;dr version of that history in mind, when you bring him into the game for his first hour as a PC. You can't possibly know where he lived, if you don't know where characters CAN live, and you can't possibly know that without first reading some of the documentation.

In a H&S game it doesn't matter. But in an RP-required game, it does matter, because all this stuff is what makes the stories believable. Your half-elf-half-space-alien has no place in ABCgameMud, because in the world of ABCgameMud space aliens haven't landed yet and likely won't ever land, because the planet that PCs live on, is the only inhabited planet in the fantasy make-believe universe of the game's genre. However, the elemental plane of substance does exist, and if your character makes it known he's from "another world" he'll likely be executed for admitting that he has broken through the planal barrier, which is punishable by death.

So yes - reading is important. How much reading depends on your intentions in playing any particular game.