The Mud Connector

Author Topic: What RP concepts work best, without fail?  (Read 7206 times)

Tioben

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
What RP concepts work best, without fail?
« on: November 25, 2014, 5:08 PM »
There are plenty of character concepts that are fine in fiction but work poorly in a well-established mud where everyone is a protagonist.  Then there is the tier of concepts that tie smoothly into the fiction and social gears of the world.  But beyond even that, have you seen any concepts that, given a sufficiently dedicated player, rarely fail to enliven and engage the playerbase?  Or concepts that work well in almost any MU*?  In other words, what concepts should every longterm rper have in their toolbox or try playing at least once?

Beanluc

• View Profile
Re: What RP concepts work best, without fail?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 1:13 AM »
It can be hard to roleplay, but, if the player not only puts in the effort but also has a certain talent and intelligence for it, the role which in some genres is called a "fixer" is invaluable and can result in an extremely engaged and frequently sought-after character. The player who runs a character like this is NEVER starved for RP or for things to do.

What other names are there for this role... Depending on game genre, they may be called "Dealer", "market maker", "faceman", "lord of war" (if their goods tend to be weaponry), "candyman" (if their goods tend to be the sort to alter the user), "black marketeer", maybe they're a pawner, maybe they're a repo man, maybe they're a taxman, maybe they're an actual shopkeeper.

So what IS the "fixer"? The fixer is the person who can get stuff which is hard to find, illegal, rare, or whatever. They're a dealer, and sometimes can save another character's ass not only by being the only one who's able to sell to them something which is hard to get any other way, but also maybe by being the only one willing to buy their gear too, when they're desperate to turn it into some money for whatever conflict-driven roleplaying reason.

This archetype needs to be roleplayed by a player who knows how to either earn an inherent trust and a reputation for dealing right, not being a cheat, and maintaining confidentiality, or else how to earn a reputation for ruthlessness and untouchability so they aren't fending off challengers or ripoffs all the time. And since getting into this role usually requires both a bankroll and access to sources no one else can get to, the player trying for this role also has to be able to figure out a way to provide value to critical other people (PCs or NPCs or both) along the way, back when they're new and even before they attain the full "fixer" role.

So it's hard to roleplay - you can't simply adopt slick hawker jargon and strut around like you're already on top of the world, you probably have to cultivate relationships, score some advantageous deals, maybe grease some palms or have a law record massaged, all along the way, before managing to actually have the access to the kind of connections and bankroll which you'd need, before you can start reliably being the dealer for others. If your roleplay hasn't created these conditions, you aren't a fixer if you keep having to say "no, I can't actually get that" to 9 out of 10 things which potential clients ask for.

Since it's hard to roleplay, people frequently may try and fail to achieve entry into this role, but, once it's attained and if the character manages to keep on top of things, avoid doublecrosses or be the one who comes out on top (covering them up), maintaining their reputation as either trustworthy enough to deal with or ruthless enough to not dare to challenge,if the character manages to keep their network and reputation and bankroll together, the role has a near-universal tendency to be one of the most successful characters in almost any setting or genre.

The fixer often isn't even a kingpin, the fixer often is the "faceman" for the real source of things.The fixer is the one you and everyone else know to go to, and the one you know you need to keep on the good side of.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 1:17 AM by Beanluc »

Beanluc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 2:19 AM »
I think that the whore role usually works pretty well too, and is a lot less hard to establish. It fits into any imaginable setting or genre, even all-male ones like PrisonMUSH (I made that up, but I did it for illustration's sake). There are a lot of different ways to play this role, and any of them can result in a character who has always got stuff going on around them and people to interact with.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 2:20 AM by Beanluc »

Beanluc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 8:02 PM »
Wow, was I really the only one who took this question seriously and had thoughts?

zaimus

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 1:38 AM »
On a similar note, I've found places with well developed crafting systems allows for productive niches in an RP environment.  No-one likes the big-talking (meta bully) newbie, though if they are witty enough, they can allow for a laugh.  The most successful RPed characters I've had always start out with a loose back-story which gets filled in through in character discussions with other players.  This coalesces into stories and more RP, which can lead to some minor fame at least in whatever circles one may be in. 

Teryel

• TMC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 2:39 AM »
There are plenty of character concepts that are fine in fiction but work poorly in a well-established mud where everyone is a protagonist.  Then there is the tier of concepts that tie smoothly into the fiction and social gears of the world.  But beyond even that, have you seen any concepts that, given a sufficiently dedicated player, rarely fail to enliven and engage the playerbase?  Or concepts that work well in almost any MU*?  In other words, what concepts should every longterm rper have in their toolbox or try playing at least once?

Bartender. Bar RP is unfortunately easy. Having an actual PC bartender takes it to the next level though. Also, that PC can be a great intermediary for introducing one PC to the next. "Hey, do you know of a healer/doc/shaman/surgeon?" "Oh, sure, lemme ring em up." or "You want Freddie. I think he's got a shop over on Mulholland Drive."

I don't know if that's the sort of thing you were thinking of, but yeah, my (belated) 2 bits.

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 1:45 PM »
Having run a very successful roleplay enforced game for almost 20 years and having been a professional actor for about the same amount of time, here is a simple answer for you:

Roleplay for others not for yourself and you will succeed and have the most enjoyable time regardless of your choices in style, background, or goals.

Good Luck!
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

ShaLeah

• New to TMC
  • ... but what is unseen is eternal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 9:51 AM »
This is an excellent question. I love the antagonists. I love the @ssholes and thieves, the murderers and raiders. They always get to me and make me love my game all the more. My game has a very specific niche though and it's not for everyone. THAT said on the MUD that I've played for not quite as long as Ateraan's admined on HIS/HER/THEIR MUD:

I can't stand Shakespearean emo  bards. Can. Not. Stand. Watching one is like watching someone you're not attracted to masturbate. Quick, jaunty, funny? I'm good with. Old timers telling tales? Love.

Love the 'can get anything guy' - that guy is everyone's friend.

Whoring only works if you're good at it and smart because just being willing to role-play it out doesn't mean you're gonna be smart enough to progress and become notable.

You know who never, ever fails? The bar fly. They know everything, everyone and can make conversation with the dead roaches on the bar.
If Murder, Corruption and Betrayal intrigue you...

... Follow me to Zalanthas.

oryx

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 3:35 AM »
ATERAAN is right on the money. When my focus is on helping other characters in their plotlines and on bringing the world to life, I have far and away the most fun.

Second to that, I do buy into the theory about there being different types of MUD players: http://matthewbarr.co.uk/bartle/

Personally, I'm almost entirely a social player. When I'm writing an interesting conversation or playing through a heart pounding scene with another player - that's when I'm most satisfied.

Determine what you love and once you synch into the character, shift your focus to enlivening the world. That's when the magick will happen.

Ateraan

• TMC Veteran
  • New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 10:03 PM »
Personally, I'm almost entirely a social player. When I'm writing an interesting conversation or playing through a heart pounding scene with another player - that's when I'm most satisfied.
And I think you always will be with this attitude.
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com