The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Vehicular Racing MUD  (Read 5328 times)

DrggrJttrs

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Vehicular Racing MUD
« on: March 15, 2015, 8:34 AM »
The possible complexities of your answers aside, I have a rather simple question: What do you think it would take for a Racing-themed MUD to garner and hold a dedicated player-base?

[+clarification in Subject. I keep forgetting that horse racing is a thing...(Thanks MOLLY!)]

Also, My Thanks go out To: KUROS, CENTAURI77, ZAIMUS, HADES_KANE
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 12:01 PM by DrggrJttrs »
Take the "war" out of STAR WARS and what do you have? Just a bunch of stars...
AiU = Anime is Ultimate
If you can't take the heat, then don't walk through the fire...

Molly

• Community Manager
    • View Profile
Re: Racing MUD
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 9:44 AM »
I have a simple follow up question; Are you talking about car racing, or horse racing?
Molly O'Hara of 4 Dimensions
4Dimensions.org Port 6000

Kuros

• Community Manager
    • View Profile
Re: Vehicular Racing MUD
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 1:08 AM »
Why limit it to those two? Is yacht racing a thing? =)

DrggrJttrs

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 8:11 AM »
Or Trucks or Motorcycles or ATVs or Helicopters or Airplanes or Tanks or Speedboats... :P

I have merely limited it to some kind of "vehicle"(boats/ships apparently qualify), so take your pick from there.
Technically a Wagon qualifies, I suppose. Which is pulled by something living. *derpfacepalm*
AiU = Anime is Ultimate

Centauri77

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 10:19 AM »
I cant say what a whole MUD based on racing might be like, but I do have a few special rooms that incorporate such a thing. tracking x,y coords was one aspect, but also, allowing speed differences had to be taken into account. also, the non MUD concepts of left and right, vs. the cardinal compass points was necessary, this got very interesting, coding wise, as most MUDS dont have a "facing" direction, inside of them, which is really a requirement if one is to use left and right correctly.

zaimus

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 12:58 PM »
A racing game could captivate players in a number of ways, the first way that comes to mind would be appealing to the gambling bug, either as a racer or someway to benefit from the racing in the game, people who can get the big win in the game will be addicted.  back in 1999 - 2000 I was playing with a graphical mud in mind, mostly text, but with a race track map overhead, the player driving in the race would issue commands akin to combat.  To make a long story short, it was planned that players could customize their racer, allowing different commands and what not, which would satisfy the collector bug in people, as well as give them a lot of possible combinations to try out, in order to build a supreme machine.

In other words, racing could be a viable theme for a MUD, it just depends on how gameplay works and what parts of a personality it tingles.

Hades_Kane

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
  • Owner / Administrator of End of Time
    • View Profile
    • End of Time
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 3:11 PM »
It's a mini-game, side thing...

But we have Chocobo (think big chicken/ostrich creatures) racing on End of Time.  You can spectate, place bets, or enter your own "trained" Chocobo into the races.
-Diablos
End of Time - A Final Fantasy & Chrono Trigger based MUD looking for players & builders!
eotmud.com : 4000 • http://www.eotmud.comhttp://www.facebook.com/eotmud
http://www.mudconnect.com/mud-bin/adv_search.cgi?Mode=MUD&mud=End+of+Time

DrggrJttrs

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 11:56 AM »
...tracking x,y coords was one aspect, but also, allowing speed differences had to be taken into account...also, the non MUD concepts of left and right, vs. the cardinal compass points was necessary...
My design requires tracking on all three axis, and speed differentials are also an integral part of a true racing experience, of course.
And I expect I shall need to get very creative with the 'compass points' issue, as I have rather unusual course designs in mind.  :o

...racing could be a viable theme for a MUD...
Heartily agreed!

...we have Chocobo <I am familiar with them ;) > racing on End of Time.  You can spectate, place bets, or enter your own "trained" Chocobo into the races.
lol The concept of 'spectating' in a textual game tickles me no end! On that note, I suppose betting sweetens the idea...?
And I do not know exactly how your system in EoT works, but the concept of 'sponsorship' is definitely one I allow for too.
AiU = Anime is Ultimate

Hellyeah

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 12:27 AM »
There's gotta be illegal street racing. Chocobos optional.

tingonic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 2:23 PM »