The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Tips for Writing a Promotion  (Read 3442 times)

Tathry

• Community Manager
  • TMC Member
    • View Profile
Tips for Writing a Promotion
« on: August 23, 2013, 1:00 PM »
What are some tips/tricks that you've used to write an effective mud promotion?

I am hoping to compile a list of things and post them to create a Guide to Promotions sticky.
Mistress Tathry, Keeper of the Balance

IFamiINIe

• TMC Member
    • View Profile
    • LinkedIn
Re: Tips for Writing a Promotion
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 1:52 PM »
General

In my experience, MUD promotion is no different than any other product promotion. You want to create your elevator pitch/speech on the MUD, compile a feature list WITH benefits attached and a good plain speaking overview of what you're promoting. That's ideally 3 pieces of documentation that you can piece together or list them separately.

A structure example would be:

<Elevator pitch/speech> This introduces the product.
<General overview> This gives more details about the product.
<Feature + Benefit list> This outlines the core features with benefits of those features.

Elevator Pitch/Speech

These are pretty straight forward. There are a number of good reference points on the internet to create one. I found them to be easy to use during short promotions when you don't want to use walls of text and as a guide for copyrighting for ads, interviews, reviews etc where text is limited. The same applies for channels like social media descriptions, updates and so on.

An elevator pitch, elevator speech, or elevator statement is a short summary used to quickly and simply define a person, profession, product, service, organization or event and its value proposition.

General Overview

This is ideally your meat & potatoes for those wanting more information about the game. It should cover more detailed areas of your pitch or provide more insights that may hook the user that may have not had enough of an impact to include in your elevator pitch. For example, if you're pitching a fully customized world, then more details could be how many areas or rooms in that world, types of areas in that world or any other neat facts about said world.

Feature + Benefit List

Feature lists are pretty common like the elevator pitches. But, it's not uncommon to see a straight feature list with no descriptives in hoping the end user knows what you mean or understands the benefit of said features. A better way is to write out a 5 to 10 feature list where the feature name is the title and the description expands on the benefit to the end user of said feature.

For example:

Fast Travel <---Feature

Spend less time walking area-to-area and more time exploring, fighting and simply enjoying our lush world! <---Benefit of Feature

Well, that's about all I got right now without diving into tactics. Enjoy.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 1:57 PM by IFamiINIe »
Veteran MUD Administrator
8-Year Game Industry Professional (Semi-Retired)
10 AAA Launch Credits / 1 AAA Launch Pending

Check out the new MMORPG I'm working on.
Entropy - http://steamcommunity.com/app/255500

Molly

• Community Manager
  • TMC Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Tips for Writing a Promotion
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 1:10 PM »
I'd like to add a few points:

1- Don't be too longwinded. (People generally tend to just skip over walls of text).

2. Concentrate on the things that separates your mud from the hundreds of others out there. (Many Muds have fairly similar features, and describing these as if they were unique for your mud just makes you come out as naive).

3. Try to make the advert a bit more "personally" interesting, for instance by telling some funny episode, an epic fight, a good RP session etc. (Readers are more likely to have their interest caught by and remember things like that)-
Molly O'Hara of 4 Dimensions
4Dimensions.org Port 6000