The Mud Connector

Author Topic: How To Build Your Own MUD  (Read 41659 times)

jswilson

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
    • Sword & Pen
Re: How To Build Your Own MUD
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2013, 11:41 PM »
A website isn't needed to run a MUD.
Neither is a server, but then your just playing with yourself.

I actually do this all the time, set up my own MUDs on my local machine, or a VPS that I don't advertise, just to experiment and learn stuff.

Quixadhal

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2013, 10:08 AM »
Actually, most cable modem connections are more than good enough to self-host a MUD until it gets a regular population of 20+ players.  The only caveat is that you have to impose a little restraint when using your connection to download things (or setup a bandwidth limiter).

Seriously guys, a MUD take almost no bandwidth, and as long as your link is not saturated, latency is also not an issue.

There are good reasons to host with a real service provider (I would suggest a generic VPS, not a MUD specific one unless it's free.... the price different is tiny and a full VPS gives you far more control).  Those reasons tend to only come into play when you have a stable playerbase.  Certainly there's no reason to worry about it when you're still developing.

With dynamic DNS updates, even if your IP address changes (mine does about twice a year), it's not likely to cause many issues.  While you may have slightly more downtime than you'd like... unless you're paying good money, I'm not convinced a "professional" service will be better.  Ask them if they guarentee 5 nines of uptime?   I'd be surprised if they guarentee ANY amount of uptime unless you're shelling out several hundred a month.

zanz

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2013, 12:16 PM »
Here is the best advice I can offer: Do not start your own MUD.  Collaborate with someone else instead of making yet another 1 or 2 person MU*.  If all these people who started their own game got together it would make a full staff instead of everyone with their own driver/lib trying to make the whole thing alone from scratch.

Nexus187

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2016, 11:11 AM »
I know this is old topic, but is there a site where you can start a mud, like step by step???

Ateraan

• New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2016, 10:05 PM »
There used to be some locations with blogs that talked about it. But the best you will likely find is some text file within a MUD Library that will help you, albeit not much. I wouldn't even try though until you've read the first post on this thread and followed at least some of the suggestions.
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

Istarian

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2016, 4:40 PM »
@Nexus187

It's a little unclear what you mean by 'start a mud' here. What sort of direction are you looking for? Just getting and running a codebase is the most fundamental part that you need and aside from running a stock game (i.e. the world and areas provided with the codebase) there's a lot more to be done to have a game than just having the server running.

I don't know of any websites that provide a click through web interface to create a start a mud on their servers for yourself if that's what you're thinking. Most of the time you end up having to use the command line somewhere. CoffeeMUD is probably the codebase with the closest functionality to that via it's web interface, but you still have to a fair amount of setup at a very technical level.

Gicker

• View Profile
    • d20MUD: Star Wars
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2016, 9:30 AM »
I would suggest CoffeeMUD as well.  A lot can be done without coding knowledge, it has great documentation and active support from the creator on its yahoo groups page.  There is a learning curve, but that's what I'd suggest. 

You'll need your own server/VPS though.  The MUD hosting packages out there don't offer enough resources to run it.  It runs using Java, which is a coding language that is more widely used than C, which most other code bases use, so you'll have a practical skill if you decide to learn to code.

The other thing is that it runs just fine on Windows, and you can use services like dyndns to set things up so the outside world can connect while you're tinkering.  You'll need to look into port forwarding on your router though.  You can also transfer it from Windows to a Linux environment if you decide to go public pretty much seamlessly as well.

Codebase Web Site: http://www.coffeemud.org/

Support Group: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/coffeemud/info

Cheers,

Gicker
d20MUD Star Wars: Role Play, PvE & PvP using d20 and SAGA rules
www.d20mud.com d20mud.com port 6000

Ateraan

• New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2016, 12:28 AM »
Keep in mind that anything Java makes use of Java style security features which can limit connectivity from work sites or barred java sites without site certificates.
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

Istarian

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2016, 2:16 AM »
Pray tell how does that have any impact at all on playing the game? It's just a plain socket connection from the client side. If you were using a Java client or a Java based web client, but otherwise there's no Java involved and visible on the client end. I could be wrong, but as CoffeeMUD supplies it's own web server, I'm not sure any of the web tools use Java in any way either.

Gicker

• View Profile
    • d20MUD: Star Wars
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2016, 11:04 AM »
Yeah pretty sure Istarian is right.  The Java is all server side.  No one should have any issues connecting because the codebase is in Java.  None of the web tools use java either, just html and javascript.
d20MUD Star Wars: Role Play, PvE & PvP using d20 and SAGA rules
www.d20mud.com d20mud.com port 6000

Ateraan

• New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2016, 11:33 AM »
Yeah pretty sure Istarian is right.  The Java is all server side.  No one should have any issues connecting because the codebase is in Java.  None of the web tools use java either, just html and javascript.
You are likely right as I was thinking in terms of Java clients which always call up security validation.
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

Argothial

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2017, 4:31 PM »
Considering I am pondering messing around just for fun (with trying to make my own personal little MUD world) this is a fascinating topic to read.  Personally, I just want to see if I can create something that would be fun to play in my own world, like I do with DND and whatnot lol

I was considering LPC as a codebase simply because one of the MUDS i played for YEARS has a manual on their site (http://discworld.starturtle.net/external/lpc_for_dummies/lpc1.pdf)

Ateraan

• New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2017, 11:24 PM »
Considering I am pondering messing around just for fun (with trying to make my own personal little MUD world) this is a fascinating topic to read.  Personally, I just want to see if I can create something that would be fun to play in my own world, like I do with DND and whatnot lol

I was considering LPC as a codebase simply because one of the MUDS i played for YEARS has a manual on their site (http://discworld.starturtle.net/external/lpc_for_dummies/lpc1.pdf)
Many like to do this. As long as you do not have lofty goals or expectations at a minimum you will appreciate the hard work of other game you have seen/played.
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com

MrDowntempo

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2017, 8:45 PM »
It's not C/C++ (It's Python) and it is young by MUD standards, but Evennia (http://www.evennia.com/) is certainly worth looking at as a potential codebase!

Ateraan

• New Worlds Ateraan
    • View Profile
    • New Worlds Ateraan
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2017, 11:41 AM »
It's not C/C++ (It's Python) and it is young by MUD standards, but Evennia (http://www.evennia.com/) is certainly worth looking at as a potential codebase!
That does certainly look like it has a lot of potential for someone looking to get into making their own game and having resources. Nice listing.
New Worlds Ateraan
www.ateraan.com