The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Licensing Issues  (Read 4776 times)

warhead42

• View Profile
Licensing Issues
« on: September 05, 2002, 6:00 AM »
After reading many posts, I've become far better educated regarding the rights of MUD owners, coders, and builders as far as Intellectual Property, copyrights and licenses go.  However, I do have a couple of questions, mainly hypothetical right now, but who knows.  Here they are:

1)  If I allow somebody to code for my MUD, I will ensure that I am given the right to retain and use any code the person writes for me, should they depart under any circumstances.  Of course, I would gladly provide them their code upon request, since it's their code.  My question is, how far does that extend?  Some cases are pretty clear cut, if someone writes a module from scratch, to include definitions, structures, tables, etc., they obviously own the copyright to that code, and I would give them the code they wrote.  What's less clear is modifications to existing code?  If a coder makes minor modifications to a large number of existing functions and whatnot, am I required to provide them the previously existing surrounding the modifications that they made?  It's pretty pointless to give somebody the 2 lines they changed/added to bool damage or what not without the remainder of the module.  Does this fall into the 'derivative work' category?

2)  If I allow a minor to code/build/whatever on my MUD, any agreements regarding copyrighting does not apply to them, due to their age.  Does that give them carte blanche to demand removal of their material should they leave?  Would I have any rights at all regarding their work?

I think that's about it, most of the information I've gotten here has been extremely helpful, and I thank you all for your time and knowledge.

>>>Tamarkus<<<

Tyche

• View Profile
    • TheSourcery
RE: Licensing Issues
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2002, 3:11 PM »
1) You aren't required to produce copies of works for an author/programmer.  It's the author's/programmer's responsibility to ensure they have a copy of their own works.  So how far you intend to go to help them out is your call.    

2) I wouldn't work with a minor personally.  If you allow a minor to work on your mud all bets are off on everything from copyright law to whatever their parents wish to sue you for.  

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Alastair

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2002, 6:49 AM »
1) Yes, all modifications to existing material is derivative work. I think in practical terms, there is a threshold on the amount of changes before the matter becomes relevant (5% or something like that). Doesn't mean that below that threshold it's not already derivative work, but it's too trivial to adress.

It is generally considered that the MUD owner has an implicit license to use and modify the code, altough an explicit license agreement between coder / builder and the MUD certainly doesn't harm.

2) It's a bit more complicated than that. Minors can't sign away their rights, so for instance transferring their IP to the MUD is out of question. However, they can issue licenses for using their work, which then doesn't necessarily give this carte blanche you're afraid of.

As a basic rule, everything requiring a signature on a paper cannot be obtained from minors. A license doesn't necessarily require such a signature.

However, I concur with Tyche: if you want to avoid exposure, don't work with minors.

Lordcam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 2:53 PM »
OMG, can you site any case decisions made against MUDS, their owners, or by their parents? This breaks the mold of trivialality, does it not? I wold lay bets, those types of suits would be more likely aimed at World of Warcraft, where actual funds are relevant.

Lyanic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 3:12 PM »
Lordcam wrote:
Stuff

Are you aware that you just necro'd a decade old thread (and contributed nothing of significance to it)? To put that
into context, you referenced a rather long-running and ubiquitous MMO, which did not even exist at the time this
thread was last active. That's gotta be some kind of record.

cratylus

• MUD forum ban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 7:31 PM »
The Iraq War hadn't started yet in 2002.

YouTube hadn't been invented by Herb.

The first iPhone (and MudBytes) was 4 years away.

MudMagic was still kyndig.com.

Facebook wasn't a thing.

Google's IPO was 2 years away.

The first Android device was six years away.