The Mud Connector

Author Topic: Article: Backups 101  (Read 7415 times)

Icculus

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
Article: Backups 101
« on: November 18, 2005, 1:58 PM »
Please feel free to leave any comments or feedback about the article posted:

Backups 101.

-Iccy

Blobule

• View Profile
RE: Article: Backups 101
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 4:24 AM »
A good article for the most part although a double remote server seems a bit of overkill, but hey, the code is the preshuss :)

I think a bit on versioning systems for development would be a good addition, along with automating the remote backup. I use an expect script to SCP my archives once a week to a remote server.

Cheers,
Blobule.

eclpmb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 8:29 AM »
Personally, I just want to emphasise (as was done in the article) that RAID is no substitute for backup. I've known people think that RAID means backups are not needed, which is very unfortunate.

RAID is for availability. Note that if you have to take the system down for a faulty disk (i.e. you don't have hotswap hardware) it's not really saving you anything but being able to decide /when/ you go down. A good hot-swap RAID system means that your players will never know there's been a hardware failure (unless you do an 'at risk' notice.)

Backups are for recovery. Keep your backups! Don't overwrite them! Save at least one per day for a month, and one a month for a year! If you find that 4 weeks ago an area got corrupted, but you only keep your backups a week, you're hosed.

I do daily backups to an offsite filestore, that are kept for 2 months.

I do monthy backups to CD. These are kept, forever.

Riendf

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 9:25 AM »
Cd are way from being error prone.
I suggest you use par2.
Basically first thing is to fragment your original file, cause if there is a scratch on a disk where a 600mb file is, the file will be very hard to copy on your hard drive.
So split your file in 10 mega chunks, then use par 2 to recover like 20% of the file.
that will cost you 20% of the space but you will be able to recreate whatever part of the file is missing.

http://www.par2.net/

Drizzt1216

• TMC Member
    • View Profile
    • tbaMUD
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 11:03 AM »
600 mb file? There's no such things as a mud related file that's 600 mb. In general it might be an issue, with a mud, not really.

Riendf

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 12:45 PM »
I took this example to show an obvious case, not as a specific mud related problem.
a 600mb file on one CD -> scratch on the cd -> problem for sure.

If a scratch on the disc is in the middle of your file, you have a problem because you will have difficulties to have the file transfered. (it is impossible with basic tools, as there will be a crc error)

It is often bad media problems, where only some parts of the disc get damaged (bad plastic, too thin protection layer etc) without even a scratch that you want to cover.

winrar has this option built in too. But why pay when it is free.

The_Fury

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 10:29 PM »

600 mb file? There's no such things as a mud related file that's 600 mb. In general it might be an issue, with a mud, not really.

A mud related backup does not merely consist of server code, area and player files. It can also consist of website files and sql databases, forum data and many other such things.

As a case point, after setting up my server to be how i wanted it, i performed an inital backup. Game server files, website and configuration files came in at just over 80meg.

Start adding data into that from an active website and it wouldn't take very long to push that out to 600meg. As i personally do not care about loosing website data i only backup my game server, i do a daily backup that is emailed to 2 separate web mail accounts and i burn monthly copies to 2 separate cd roms.

If i had an open game with a lot of web activity i would start to back up the database as well, but for now i dont care if i loose my own rambelings.

Drizzt1216

• TMC Member
    • View Profile
    • tbaMUD
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 12:04 AM »
The difference is that 600 meg of files still isn't at all the same as a 600 meg file. One file is fragmented less safely than a ton of smaller files.

Riendf

• New to TMC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 10:00 AM »
You dont get the point. a scratch on the middle of ANY file, and poof you lose the file. (could be THE one you need)
have one archive splitted in many files, and 20% par2 and a media problem will never makes enough damage to make 20% of all of it unrecoverable.
CD are for archiving, if you dont put redundancy in archiving, dont even bother in the first place.

Drizzt1216

• TMC Member
    • View Profile
    • tbaMUD
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 11:56 AM »
Of course it <i>could</c> be, it just really isn't likely. And the fact is the scratch somewhere in your 600 meg file is indeed far worse than a scratch in a 200 kb file when there's 600 meg of data on the disc.